still no job! need some ideas on where to apply in DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shmoo597

Bronze

still no job! need some ideas on where to apply in DC

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm

It's late. Very late. I am aware of this.

I've applied to 23 different places in DC, mostly federal agencies, and so far have had 1 interview (with the SEC, more than 3 weeks ago, still have heard nothing). I've applied to about 8 of those 23 within the past week in a fit of panic after realizing that pretty much everything I applied to in early-mid January was not panning out.

My stats: 1L, top 2% at a T20 school. Decent softs, no work experience.

I am getting very worried. I guess I way overshot with where I was applying originally, and applied to places that were way too competitive (only took 2-4 interns, valued work experience, etc). I really only want to work in DC, but I'm not sure if I can afford to be picky at all at this point.

I'm using every connection I have, and have a few brighter prospects, but I am getting very discouraged. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can still apply? Where/who is still taking applications in DC? I am looking for ANYTHING - think tanks, government agencies, public interest, paid or unpaid, anything.

Thanks for the help!

Gold

Re: still no job! need some ideas on where to apply in DC

Post by 270910 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Outside of DC.

HTH.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Here's one if you speak French or Spanish: --LinkRemoved--

Also, it looks like the DC regional office for the ACLU is still hiring interns, since they just posted this yesterday: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/J ... C17812x034

Here are a few more that seem to have been posted recently, although I don't know if it's too late or not:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/J ... C17812x034

Also, I am on a discussion group called the WIN List, and people periodically post job opportunities or post messages asking if anyone knows about job opportunities. WIN is also a great networking opportunity. It costs $35 to join, but if you are planning to be in DC for the summer, it's a good investment, because you find out about all kinds of events and networking opportunities.

Also, here's an internship in NY that looks interesting: --LinkRemoved--

The deadline for that is April 1.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Also, I just found this: http://www.findjustice.com/UserFiles/Fi ... 202010.pdf

It's a summer clerkship with a good plaintiff-side firm in DC. Not sure when they posted it or whether it is still available.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm

At this point, I think you need to look in more places. DC is one of the most competitive places to get a job, and considering it's almost April, you should expand your job search.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 pm

Look at the DC AG's office. They hire about 100 interns each summer - have a huge program. I interview with them; it was pretty causal, and you have secured the position if you get an interview. I chose to work elsewhere in DC, but it really does seem like a pretty good internship opportunity, and from what I've heard, they might still be looking for people.

thuggishruggishbone

New

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:53 pm

I hate to say this-what about a legal clinic?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

Talk to professors at your school about applying to be an RA. This economy is rough, just getting some kind of legal experience is what's important, and many RA positions pay decently and give you the chance to work with a really interesting professor for the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”