Job prospects 3 years out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
firebreathingliberal

Job prospects 3 years out

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm a 0L and it looks like I'm going to end up at Cincinnati College of Law. They are a good school, but the job prospects obviously are regional except for maybe the top 1% and even then it would be a challenge. That being said, 3 years out of law school, if two lawyers with identical jobs, one from a regional school like Cincinnati and the other from a national school, is there much disparity between job prospect at that point? Will the regional graduate still have a harder time competing even if they both performed their duties with an equal amount of skill and ability and receive high praises from their superiors?

Or if the regional grad performed far better at the job than the national grad, will the pedigree of the two still play a role in whether or not the regional grad can get a job nationally?

Hitachi

Re: Job prospects 3 years out

Postby Hitachi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

You won't break from small-law into BigLaw. Then again, after three years, most BigLaw people won't be in BigLaw anymore either.

AtticusFinch

Postby AtticusFinch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:53 pm

firebreathingliberal wrote:I'm a 0L and it looks like I'm going to end up at Cincinnati College of Law. They are a good school, but the job prospects obviously are regional except for maybe the top 1% and even then it would be a challenge. That being said, 3 years out of law school, if two lawyers with identical jobs, one from a regional school like Cincinnati and the other from a national school, is there much disparity between job prospect at that point? Will the regional graduate still have a harder time competing even if they both performed their duties with an equal amount of skill and ability and receive high praises from their superiors?

Or if the regional grad performed far better at the job than the national grad, will the pedigree of the two still play a role in whether or not the regional grad can get a job nationally?

Hopefully in three years all you fire breathing liberals will be the scourge of the earth.

gglr24

Postby gglr24 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Where you went to school does play less of a role when further down the road. However, it does play a role. Also, if you are not in the top 5 or 10%, you won't be compared to t-14's anyways since you will have a completely different job. If you do go to biglaw, or move in-house, your performance will be the key measure.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm

I've spoken to people that have been locked out of certain firms 10 years out of school because of their LS. There really aren't that many areas of law where people can distinguish themselves, and so most lawyers can only be judged by prestige of LS and firms.

As I understand it the better the firm the more these things will matter, even after years of work experience.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

AtticusFinch wrote:
firebreathingliberal wrote:I'm a 0L and it looks like I'm going to end up at Cincinnati College of Law. They are a good school, but the job prospects obviously are regional except for maybe the top 1% and even then it would be a challenge. That being said, 3 years out of law school, if two lawyers with identical jobs, one from a regional school like Cincinnati and the other from a national school, is there much disparity between job prospect at that point? Will the regional graduate still have a harder time competing even if they both performed their duties with an equal amount of skill and ability and receive high praises from their superiors?

Hopefully in three years all you fire breathing liberals will be the scourge of the earth.

Hey yeah... thanks for that.... very helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”