T14 Bottom 1/3. CLERKSHIPS????

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 Bottom 1/3. CLERKSHIPS????

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:07 pm

2L at T14...how hard to get state clerkships...at least appellate level...

Ghost Writer

Re: T14 Bottom 1/3. CLERKSHIPS????

Postby Ghost Writer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:30 pm

I do not know much about this, but I think it depends on which top 14 and which city you are aiming for. If you are from Columbia or NYU and are trying for NYC I think its possible.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Not happening.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:47 pm

I was under the impression that Clerkships generally only went to the top of the class. I also know however, that there are different types and levels of clerkships. Now would be a great time for a 3L or something to post us 0L's a little guide on this stuff as I would love to know.

Ghost Writer

Postby Ghost Writer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:59 pm

It could happen at the city level. I'm pretty sure they dont have highly qualified T14 applicants applying and just the name of the school might be enough to at least get you an interview.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Ghost Writer wrote:It could happen at the city level. I'm pretty sure they dont have highly qualified T14 applicants applying and just the name of the school might be enough to at least get you an interview.

lol. After spending $200K on a degree you end up as city traffic court clerk, and with shittier options after leaving than prior to doing the clerkship. Sounds like a great plan for a t14 grad. I personally think becoming a street walking lawyer would be much better though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7QtRCGQmrc

Ghost Writer

Postby Ghost Writer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:13 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Ghost Writer wrote:It could happen at the city level. I'm pretty sure they dont have highly qualified T14 applicants applying and just the name of the school might be enough to at least get you an interview.

lol. After spending $200K on a degree you end up as city traffic court clerk, and with shittier options after leaving than prior to doing the clerkship. Sounds like a great plan for a t14 grad. I personally think becoming a street walking lawyer would be much better though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7QtRCGQmrc

He’s not asking whether it’s a good or bad choice he’s just asking if it is possible and I think it is. Thats a pretty funny video by the way lol.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Ghost Writer wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

He’s not asking whether it’s a good or bad choice he’s just asking if it is possible and I think it is. Thats a pretty funny video by the way lol.

I figured he isn't looking for super-shitlaw type work based on "at least appellate level," and appellate level state clerkships are definetely not going to take someone based on being at a t14 (particularly if the school is in another state).

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:33 pm

b
Last edited by Oblomov on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 pm

b
Last edited by Oblomov on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Based on stats provided by my clerkship office (CCN):

Lowest GPA to score a clerkship @ state court of the highest level last year was a little below median, avg. was a little above median.

So, unlike some claim, it is not IMPOSSIBLE - you are going to need something to overcome mediocre grades though.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on stats provided by my clerkship office (CCN):

Lowest GPA to score a clerkship @ state court of the highest level last year was a little below median, avg. was a little above median.

So, unlike some claim, it is not IMPOSSIBLE - you are going to need something to overcome mediocre grades though.

This is still really ambiguous though...I mean, 50 states...how many people applied, and to which states, and what was the average applicant GPA?

My CSO couldn't tell me anything about state clerkships, other than, "give it a shot."

Postby 270910 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Corsair wrote:I should note though that states like Hawaii and Alaska are probably the exceptions, rather than the rule. Some places (MA for example) are notorious for wanting "locals" and eve going to school out of state can hurt you. Others (NY, DE) care less about connections.

haha, sounds like you're hunting down some awesome opportunities.

I remember reading vague posts about your rough luck during OCI... did you ever post the blow by blow? I don't want to re-open potentially unpleasant memories, but I've been curious and it could be useful information for those of us staring down the barrel of OCI ourselves in a few months time.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:35 am

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Corsair wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Corsair wrote:I should note though that states like Hawaii and Alaska are probably the exceptions, rather than the rule. Some places (MA for example) are notorious for wanting "locals" and eve going to school out of state can hurt you. Others (NY, DE) care less about connections.

haha, sounds like you're hunting down some awesome opportunities.

I remember reading vague posts about your rough luck during OCI... did you ever post the blow by blow? I don't want to re-open potentially unpleasant memories, but I've been curious and it could be useful information for those of us staring down the barrel of OCI ourselves in a few months time.

The story is simple. I only applied to Boston firms, because there is where I'm from. I got a good number of callbacks, but then the economy tanked. The majority of my callbacks were at smaller offices of national firms in Boston, who normally took 8 or so summers. I screwed up some of my early interviews by being too gregarious, discovered this was a problem, and massively over corrected. My very last callback (with a Chicago firm that I was lucky enough to get off of mass mailing the big firms) the hiring partner told me that everyone loved me and that if this were the previous year I'd have had a job. But that year they just had no space.

So moral of the story: Use all your bids. Practice interviewing. Practice more interviewing. Don't waste opportunities. Then be boned.

My clerkship application process has been rough as well, though I'm not sure who has it worse, me or my friend.

Me: 300ish applications, 1 interview, rejected.
Friend: 15 clerkship interviews, 15 rejections.

:shock:

Didn't you say you had killer grades at NU somewhere on here? Even then you've had this bad of luck? What did you do last summer?

Return to “Legal Employment”