Business Work XP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
APHill

Business Work XP

Postby APHill » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

Does anyone know if good business work experience increases the chances of getting biglaw? I have 3 years xp in Big 4 accounting firm (external audit, a lot of SEC filer work) and 3 years xp in state taxes audit, CPA, will that impress biglaw or make me look better than my classmates who went straight from BA in Philosophy to Mikki D's to law school? I am at T30.

runn3rs

Re: Business Work XP

Postby runn3rs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm

It will help during OCI, but it wouldn't trump someone with much better grades. You might be able to beat someone in the top 25% if you're top 35%, but you wouldn't get the job over someone in the top 10%.

Of course, that ignores all sorts of other factors like Law Review (usually the most important non-grade factor).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm

At a tax firm it's going to count for a heck of a lot more than at a non-tax practice.

APHill

Postby APHill » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I never reallly did federal taxes - I was in external audit of SEC filers. Will M&A or securities law firm like it?

Return to “Legal Employment”