Suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many suits should one bring for a summer job?

4%
15%
46%
17%
5+
19%

Total votes: 48

Doritos

Suits

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

So a search yielded lots of threads talking about how many one should bring to law school for OCI and such but I gotta know how many for an actual legal job (for the summer). Would two suffice? Can I spice up the 2 suit with lots of shirts and ties so I don't look like a hobo compared to the well off lawyers at the firm? Like a lot of you guys I'm not swimming in the green so ideally I'd like to be able to do this on the cheap. Also, I have no nice dress shoes so I'm trying to figure out if I should just get one nice pair of black shoes or maybe throw in a nice brown pair as well.

rando

Re: Suits

Postby rando » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:50 am

Since you will be there 5 days a week you are in the limbo where 2 suits may seem "hoboish" but 3 will be fine. You just don't wont to be doing the every other day suit rotation thing. While you can certainly make many more combinations with a couple blazers and slacks, suits are obviously much classier. I would lay down the extra couple hundred for another suit. In fact, I think Jos. A Bank is having a big sale currently.

I would also get a second pair of shoes.

Postby 270910 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 am

Starting from scratch, I'd say one to do 1L interviews then 2 more (shouldn't be hard, lots of places have sales when you buy more than one) before 1L summer job. Adjust from there as necessary, but by that point you should have a strong 'core' of suits to work from.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

I don't know anyone who has gotten a summer legal job that required wearing a suit on a daily basis.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 am

Nightrunner wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63606

I found it tremendously helpful; thought I'd share.

Gold. Thank you

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:30 am

nealric wrote:I don't know anyone who has gotten a summer legal job that required wearing a suit on a daily basis.

Uhh. Worked at district attorney's office. Suit daily. Worked at State SC. Suit daily.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Ideally you want one for every working day + one extra, so 8.

However for your purposes 3 or 4 will probably be fine. Just have a lot of shirts.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Uhh. Worked at district attorney's office. Suit daily. Worked at State SC. Suit daily.

OK, now I know of one person. The point is that the vast majority of workplaces, even for attorneys, have gone business casual for day-today operations. Why buy a bunch of suits before you even know if you will need them?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:16 pm

nealric wrote:

OK, now I know of one person. The point is that the vast majority of workplaces, even for attorneys, have gone business casual for day-today operations. Why buy a bunch of suits before you even know if you will need them?

For one, it can help defray the costs of purchasing 5+ suits when you do know you need them. Not advocating a purchase of 5 suits right now, but one more couldn't hurt the OP in the long run if s/he has the money available.

Also, +1 to the poster who recommended another pair of shoes.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:34 pm

rando wrote:Since you will be there 5 days a week you are in the limbo where 2 suits may seem "hoboish" but 3 will be fine. You just don't wont to be doing the every other day suit rotation thing. While you can certainly make many more combinations with a couple blazers and slacks, suits are obviously much classier. I would lay down the extra couple hundred for another suit. In fact, I think Jos. A Bank is having a big sale currently.

jos. a bank

+

classy

does...not...compute

anywho, im gonna go with 2, let's SEE WHAT HAPPENS

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:51 pm

I'd say you'd be safe with 3 suits. Its an easier rotation that allows for more variation than just 2. A good assortment of shirts and ties can carry you through the week. 8 suits seems extravagant for someone who isn't meeting with clients every day.

But I'm a chick, so I could be wrong. But I currently get away at work with owning 2 suits, 1 dress, 1 skirt, tons of shirts and a legion of different colored/styled pumps and cardigans. Its much harder for you boys because you really only can vary your tie and shirt.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:10 pm

underdawg wrote:
rando wrote:Since you will be there 5 days a week you are in the limbo where 2 suits may seem "hoboish" but 3 will be fine. You just don't wont to be doing the every other day suit rotation thing. While you can certainly make many more combinations with a couple blazers and slacks, suits are obviously much classier. I would lay down the extra couple hundred for another suit. In fact, I think Jos. A Bank is having a big sale currently.

jos. a bank

+

classy

does...not...compute

anywho, im gonna go with 2, let's SEE WHAT HAPPENS

its not Target jackass. the OP is looking for an economical way to purchase business clothing. While you are shopping for some douchey hugo boss, the rest of the people getting by make due with meager $500 suits.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm

my suit is less than $500

i just really don't like jos a bank, and am confused why people are succored into their "sales" where it's just obvious that they never sell anything at "full" price. and they are old man suits, come on

but look at you, fancy douche in $500 suit

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 pm

underdawg wrote:my suit is less than $500

i just really don't like jos a bank, and am confused why people are succored into their "sales" where it's just obvious that they never sell anything at "full" price. and they are old man suits, come on

but look at you, fancy douche in $500 suit

FAIL

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:35 pm

eff me

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm

underdawg wrote:eff me

Haha...I love the substance of both your post and, especially, its predecessor. The analysis is deep, yet approachable. Reading just these two posts, I know exactly why you fail, and why you should off yourself.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:42 pm

underdawg wrote:eff me

All is not lost, for $500 you can get a sweet reversible.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:17 pm

You will definitely need 2+ pairs of shoes. Unlike suits, I wouldn't buy a cheap pair of shoes. You can get a cheap suit that looks okay; cheap shoes almost always look like cheap shoes. Spend the cash and get a brown pair and a black pair that are well made. Treat them well and they'll last you.

Credited, but wanted to add that you should be sure to get round toe lace-ups, not square toe shoes. Square toe shoes are for going out to the bars as a grad student, not for business formal.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:53 am

SteelReserve wrote:
You will definitely need 2+ pairs of shoes. Unlike suits, I wouldn't buy a cheap pair of shoes. You can get a cheap suit that looks okay; cheap shoes almost always look like cheap shoes. Spend the cash and get a brown pair and a black pair that are well made. Treat them well and they'll last you.

Credited, but wanted to add that you should be sure to get round toe lace-ups, not square toe shoes. Square toe shoes are for going out to the bars as a grad student, not for business formal.

For realz? They look so much better though......

Great Expectations

Postby Great Expectations » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:52 am

A'nold wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

For realz? They look so much better though......

You have many instances of useful and insightful comments. This, I fear, is not one of them. Clothes are made to "fit" people. Square toed shoes do not fit the foot. They change the proportion of the foot. Change one part of the body and you throw off the balance. What other clothing element would you change to compensate for this?

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:31 am

Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Expectations

Postby Great Expectations » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 am

Oblomov wrote:
Great Expectations wrote: You have many instances of useful and insightful comments. This, I fear, is not one of them. Clothes are made to "fit" people. Square toed shoes do not fit the foot. They change the proportion of the foot. Change one part of the body and you throw off the balance. What other clothing element would you change to compensate for this?

Neither do round toe, really. My feet are closer to round than they are round. And the rest of you're theory doesn't really make sense.

That said, square toe oxfords tend to be clunky and don't look professional, or often good at all:

a tapered "squared" toe, on the other hand, is acceptable and I often prefer it:

Martegani shoes, as you have noted are very fine shoes. However, the "squaring" of the toe you quote in the second picture is really more of a chiseled toe. No one would call the Marteganis square-toed. The first picture is a more accurate representation of what is typically classified as a "square" toe. What I think that you are right in saying is that the foot is not perfectly round. This is true as well. Fine quality shoes will follow lines that are true to the shape of the foot. Distorting these lines artificially changes the proportion of the foot to the rest of the body. If you choose to put the first (square-toed) shoe on a foot and then place a slim pant fitted the leg the foot will look disproportionately large when compared to the leg.

Having said that, a number of people believe that a black suit is business attire and that black shoes are the primary shoe color for daily business wear so... YMMV.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:56 am

You guys clearly have no fashion sense. I will be wearing these:
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”