Harvard or Yale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

WHICH ONE?

Yale
32
68%
Harvard
15
32%
 
Total votes: 47

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Harvard or Yale

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 am

WHICH DO I CHOOSE? WHICH IS MORE PRESTIGIOUS!?
Last edited by GradPath2011 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 am

Oh, and please explain why. Thanks!!!

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

oh yeah

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 am

oh yeah oh yeah
Last edited by GradPath2011 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 am

Local ACLU chapter, or national, and working on what project?

No need to shout.

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:24 am

I mean I would assume it is local (isn't it always local to somewhere?)...civil rights issues but I'm not sure beyond that but its definitely legal...not like some fund-raising thing.

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:45 am

vote vote vote vote

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 am

What kind of person are you to let random people on the Internet choose for you by popular vote?

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 am

I'm just wondering what people think...any opinions?

User avatar
fuzzball
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby fuzzball » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:02 am

There's a huge difference between ACLU NYC and ACLU small city in random state. I assume the fact you don't know which ACLU office means you would be working at a small local branch. In that case I'd say it's pretty even as far as prestige goes, and your decision should depend on your specific interests.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby legends159 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:11 am

ACLU might pigeonhole you as a liberal if you ever want to clerk with conservative judges.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 am

legends159 wrote:ACLU might pigeonhole you as a liberal if you ever want to clerk with conservative judges.

I assumed someone who got a gig with the ACLU was liberal enough that they'd get pigeonholed anyway.

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 am

lets stay on the topic, please.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 am

GradPath2011 wrote:lets stay on the topic, please.

That is on topic; you could damage your future career options by taking the ACLU gig, but only if you 1) might want to clerk for a conservative judge in the future and 2) haven't already "tainted" your resume with similar "liberal" job experience.

GradPath2011
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

lkjlkl

Postby GradPath2011 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 am

jlkj
Last edited by GradPath2011 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 am

GradPath2011 wrote:But isn't it a well-respected organization. anyone would know im a competent individual.

It is. However, if you're going to try to clerk, you need to be aware that conservative judges will often dislike applicants with blatantly liberal job experience and vice versa. (This is only really important if you're planning to clerk. For the most part it doesn't matter elsewhere.)

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby HyeMart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 am

GradPath2011 wrote:But isn't it a well-respected organization. anyone would know im a competent individual.


well you dont have me convinced :lol:

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Harvard or Yale

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 am

Has OP hit his head or something. If not, I volunteer to do it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Harvard or Yale

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

WTF... why did OP edit this? Now it says Harvard or Yale instead of two job options. What does this have to do with Legal Employment anymore?

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Harvard or Yale

Postby BlueCivic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 am

This is a pretty good thread. I'm fascinated to see how it develops.


User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Harvard or Yale

Postby BlueCivic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

PopCopyManager wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO4Os


+1googleplex

(disclosure: i just got rejected from YLS and probably am going to HLS)

ranovr32
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:06 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
GradPath2011 wrote:lets stay on the topic, please.

That is on topic; you could damage your future career options by taking the ACLU gig, but only if you 1) might want to clerk for a conservative judge in the future and 2) haven't already "tainted" your resume with similar "liberal" job experience.

If you absolutely want to clerk for a conservative judge, just leave it off of your resume.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:17 pm

ranovr32 wrote:If you absolutely want to clerk for a conservative judge, just leave it off of your resume.

From what I understand, many conservative judges expect to see the opposite (at least, a membership in the Federalist Society to represent a conservative interpretation of the law) on your resume.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby BlueCivic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:If you absolutely want to clerk for a conservative judge, just leave it off of your resume.

From what I understand, many conservative judges expect to see the opposite (at least, a membership in the Federalist Society to represent a conservative interpretation of the law) on your resume.


Why would you want to clerk for a conservative judge if you are a big liberal? I wouldn't want to.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: ACLU INTERN or USDC JUDICIAL INTERN

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm

BlueCivic wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:If you absolutely want to clerk for a conservative judge, just leave it off of your resume.

From what I understand, many conservative judges expect to see the opposite (at least, a membership in the Federalist Society to represent a conservative interpretation of the law) on your resume.

Why would you want to clerk for a conservative judge if you are a big liberal? I wouldn't want to.

I suspect OP is bipolar.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.