The Jobless 1L Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The Jobless 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 pm

So, how many other 1Ls are jobless for the summer?

As for me, mid-tier CA school (somewhere in the Davis--Loyola mix), top 25%, 100+ applications, and 1 interview. I am offering to work for free at any non-solo firm that will take me. Response rate (ie., any kind of reply at all) has been roughly 10%. I would estimate that about 25% of my apps were through Simplicity, the other 75% were unsolicited emails. All of the responses have been "already hired someone," "we don't plan to take any summer clerks this year, free or paid," and last but not least "we don't even have enough work for our associates, let alone any summer interns."

Anyone else in a similar boat? I have heard from classmates that they are also struggling to find jobs. It seems that 2Ls and 3Ls are taking up many of the public interest and unpaid internships that used to be the realm of 1Ls.

So what is the strategy? Just give up and start filling out Starbucks apps?

Anonymous User

Re: The Jobless 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:38 pm

So everyone here has a job lined up for the summer?

Wonderful. Maybe my classmates and I should go ask for our money back.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Have you tried RA positions or gov/PI/non-profits? Most 1Ls I know at BU are doing either government work/judge or RA for the summer. I only know of 2 or 3 people that have firm things lined up - 1 unpaid small firm - 1 paid at a biglaw firm - and another at a midlaw firm I guess in NYC.

In conclusion, look outside of law firms. Also, I don't know about your school, but mine is basically guaranteeing some kind of RA job/funding for anyone who can't get a 1L job. There are also local non-profits, etc. who soak up the 1Ls right before summer.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:47 pm

You need to get out into the working legal community and meet working lawyers and judges, your classmates don't have jobs to offer you these folks do. Join the local bar association as a student member, get involved OUTSIDE of school, see if there are Inns of Court in your town.

I also would not rule out working for a solo, one of the best choices I made. I got to everything, and I mean everything, in that job, learned a ton more about actual practical hands on experience then I did when I was at larger firms. Plus he introduced me to tons of people, having been practicing for 30 years he knew all the movers and shakers and made it a point to introduce me to as many as he could.

The key is finding a good solo who is willing to mentor you and not just use your free (or low paid) help. Simplicity and random e-mails s NOT how to do it. You need to get to know lawyers/judges, they will know who has a rep in town for being a good mentor and who will just work you to death.

If you can't find anything paid this summer see if you can volunteer for someone and get credit for it as an internship. But seriously, you're doing it wrong. Simplicity and random e-mails is what everyone else is doing, you need to stand out from the heard, you do that by getting to know people who can personally recommend you for jobs no one else even knows about it. If you do or do not find something for this summer you should make networking your top, or second to top priority.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Have you tried RA positions or gov/PI/non-profits? Most 1Ls I know at BU are doing either government work/judge or RA for the summer. I only know of 2 or 3 people that have firm things lined up - 1 unpaid small firm - 1 paid at a biglaw firm - and another at a midlaw firm I guess in NYC.

In conclusion, look outside of law firms. Also, I don't know about your school, but mine is basically guaranteeing some kind of RA job/funding for anyone who can't get a 1L job. There are also local non-profits, etc. who soak up the 1Ls right before summer.

I have not applied for any PI positions so far, although I did apply for about 10-15 govt/externship positions and got no interviews. But I have talked to classmates who have a particular interest in things like Environmental who haven't been successful so far. My impression is that PI is heavily glutted this year, and I think I may have missed the boat already.

I will look into RA positions at my school, although I worry that this will not look good on my resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Matthies wrote:You need to get out into the working legal community and meet working lawyers and judges, your classmates don't have jobs to offer you these folks do. Join the local bar association as a student member, get involved OUTSIDE of school, see if there are Inns of Court in your town.

I also would not rule out working for a solo, one of the best choices I made. I got to everything, and I mean everything, in that job, learned a ton more about actual practical hands on experience then I did when I was at larger firms. Plus he introduced me to tons of people, having been practicing for 30 years he knew all the movers and shakers and made it a point to introduce me to as many as he could.

The key is finding a good solo who is willing to mentor you and not just use your free (or low paid) help. Simplicity and random e-mails s NOT how to do it. You need to get to know lawyers/judges, they will know who has a rep in town for being a good mentor and who will just work you to death.

If you can't find anything paid this summer see if you can volunteer for someone and get credit for it as an internship. But seriously, you're doing it wrong. Simplicity and random e-mails is what everyone else is doing, you need to stand out from the heard, you do that by getting to know people who can personally recommend you for jobs no one else even knows about it. If you do or do not find something for this summer you should make networking your top, or second to top priority.

Sounds great on paper, but isn't entirely practical given my heavy schedule at school. That is especially true now that we are 5-6 weeks away from finals.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:58 pm

I think what he meant was network like crazy. Also - call up old friends, friends of friends, mothers of friends of girlfriends... whatever. Now is not the time to be bashful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I think what he meant was network like crazy. Also - call up old friends, friends of friends, mothers of friends of girlfriends... whatever. Now is not the time to be bashful.

Again, sounds great on paper. I have no connections in my school's region. I have no family connections in any region for that matter.

My school has an alumni mentoring program, which I will ask about on Friday.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Maybe the problem is your attitude?

You asked for suggestions and have then shot down everything single one that has been thrown at you. It's obvious that you're frustrated, but at least thank everyone who's offering up good suggestions.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

BruinsFan wrote:Maybe the problem is your attitude?

You asked for suggestions and have then shot down everything single one that has been thrown at you. It's obvious that you're frustrated, but at least thank everyone who's offering up good suggestions.

I don't feel like I've been rude to anyone. I am thankful for the suggestions, but I don't know if they are feasible for me.

I've thought about the need to network and it's just that I don't have time to go around meeting random lawyers who may or may not be able to help me get a job. I thought that was what summers were for? How do you (or these lawyers) have time to meet up for coffee after class to discuss my summer job search? The whole thing just seems impractical to me. Everyone says that the most important thing in 1L is your grades...well that is what I am trying to do. So far it has worked out for me grades-wise. Between all that shit and all the other bs they put you through 1L year, I just don't have time for networking. I can afford to spend 30 min - 1 hour per day on mass emailing applications but that is about it.

As for personal connections, what do you want from me? My parents are blue-collar, my relatives are blue-collar, everyone I knew coming up blue-collar. And all of them are 2,000 miles away from my school and desired job market.

If I am screwed, that's fine. I just need to know where to go from here. If that means I'm meant to be a barista this summer, so be it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:19 pm

[quote="dood"]Hey, try corporations.

fresh idea, and I will certainly look into it

dood

Postby dood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm still jobless/internshipless... top 5% at T20. I've had 4 OCI screening interviews, 2 phone interviews, and 3 call-backs (2 from local firms)--still nothing. I plan on waiting another week before getting really nervous, I guess there is nothing more that I can really do at this point aside from applying to RA (which I have already started). I may actually try some of the ideas suggested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still jobless/internshipless... top 5% at T20. I've had 4 OCI screening interviews, 2 phone interviews, and 3 call-backs (2 from local firms)--still nothing. I plan on waiting another week before getting really nervous, I guess there is nothing more that I can really do at this point aside from applying to RA (which I have already started). I may actually try some of the ideas suggested.

That's some heavy shit, yo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still jobless/internshipless... top 5% at T20. I've had 4 OCI screening interviews, 2 phone interviews, and 3 call-backs (2 from local firms)--still nothing. I plan on waiting another week before getting really nervous, I guess there is nothing more that I can really do at this point aside from applying to RA (which I have already started). I may actually try some of the ideas suggested.

At least you got some OCI action at all. So far I only got one interview and it didn't work out.

I think the other posters are right..we are wasting our time with firms. I never imagined that no firm would be willing to take on a FREE intern.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Cursing this law school mess like YNY!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I have also been looking in the California market. A good number of my friends that did top 1/4th have secured some sort of employment already and I'm starting to get nervous. The biggest problem is that California is WAY out of my school's region (T30, largely regional pull). I've applied to firms, all the in house I can find, and at this point it's too late for judges (unfortunately my plans at the time judge applications would have been golden were different). AAAAAAHHHHHHHH. I think California in general is just a disaster, there are what - like 400 law schools there? I'm running low on ideas. I've contacted the people I can contact through my ties to the area, but its not looking too promising :( Not to mention how I'm going to pay for living while I work for free . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Cursing this law school mess like YNY!

?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 am

Top 10% at a top 5 school, still nothing. Can only do PI as cannot be paid(international, don't want to eat into my 1 year of work time). Looking in my home country and now starting to look in NY out of desperation but everywhere seems to already have their interns set. Blergh. Meant to have something by 31st if I want funding from the school....

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Have you tried RA positions or gov/PI/non-profits? Most 1Ls I know at BU are doing either government work/judge or RA for the summer. I only know of 2 or 3 people that have firm things lined up - 1 unpaid small firm - 1 paid at a biglaw firm - and another at a midlaw firm I guess in NYC.

I have not applied for any PI positions so far, although I did apply for about 10-15 govt/externship positions and got no interviews. But I have talked to classmates who have a particular interest in things like Environmental who haven't been successful so far. My impression is that PI is heavily glutted this year, and I think I may have missed the boat already.

I will look into RA positions at my school, although I worry that this will not look good on my resume.

RA positions can actually be very competitive/impressive, particularly for those students looking to clerk. I'm RAing for the summer and most likely could have gotten a firm job (and I know a number of classmates in the same position). Try that path out.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 am

My 1L class is about half with jobs right now, some firm, some in-house (I'm in that crowd), some judicial externships, some clinic research, some research/PI...I would say there are a some people who haven't been looking very hard, but for those that have been blanketing jobs (and I assume did okay last semester) people are having okay results (not everyone, but some)

I think the candidates at Northwestern have pretty strong resumes b/c of work experience which may be giving us some success, but there is NO doubt that it is hard. Especially if you are dead set on a summer firm position or only going to take gigs that are paid. There definitely will be people without jobs, however, that's for sure, paid or otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 am

1L. HYS. No job yet. Hope to find something soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:44 am

OP here...so I got an offer for unpaid internship at a solo firm. Should I just cut my losses and take it? It might be better to focus on finals at this point in the semester.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:35 am

Return to “Legal Employment”