Where to bid at Fall OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273094
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:34 am

CCN - I'm around top 20% possibly higher after 1st semester (but kinda slacked this semester so to be conservative let's assume I end up 30% for the year). Minority w/ decent work experience, got a pretty good public interest summer gig, and solid interviewing skills. Where exactly should I focus my bidding if I'm shooting for NYC biglaw? I feel like in a normal economy, I could probably sprinkle the V25 but I don't want to aim too high in this economy.

Note: Anonymous b/c this obviously reveals quite a bit of identifying info about myself.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby underdawg » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm

not that simple. for example, i threw cravath a bid at like #30-something, cause i thought "oh what the hell." and i got a OCI interview there but not places i bid from like 12-20, because everyone was being conservative and bid very low or not at all on cravath and sullivan and cromwell. my wachtell at #40 bid did not fare as well however :/

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm

This is one area where career services is quite valuable. The career service office at my school actually went so far as to create a suggested bid list based on my GPA, the bit/interview ratio from past years, and location preferences.

They can also provide a lot of helpful data to you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273094
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 pm

if you keep your GPA up, you are a lock for V10. Probably V5. OCS told me employers are saying that C/O 2012 won't be crushed like 2011. I would just bid where you want to work. Also, I think it turned out that bidding on the upper vaults worked out better. Although they all substantially reduced summer classes, they still took on way more summers than the lower vaults. I would keep that in mind. I assume you are either at C or N, you can easily get STB or DPW.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby underdawg » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

OCS will tell everyone to bid their true preferences

but i'm telling ya, i bet people will bid too conservatively again this year

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm

but i'm telling ya, i bet people will bid too conservatively again this year


It's a possibility. This year produced some weird results. I talked to 2Ls who had gotten only one callback- and it was from a V5 firm. A lot of the lower V100 got crushed with people lining up to interview because of "conservative" bidding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273094
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 am

OP here... thanks for the input.

Do you guys happen to know how big the summer classes this year will be for any of the top firms?

User avatar
NewtonCampusKid
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby NewtonCampusKid » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 am

20% smaller summer class at a certain nyc V10. Why not put a Cravath or an S&C in you 15-20? A previous poster said it, but people are likely to underbid themselves in this economy.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 am

Isn't it pretty (too) early to be thinking about where to bid at Fall OCI? I would think we'd need to wait on our spring grades, or do we place our bids before we get our spring grades. I'm pretty out of the loop all the time for some reason.

On that note, I would like to get a general idea of where I should bid (without hijacking the thread), assuming top 10% at NYU (and expecting to do a bit better this semester given my study habits by comparison).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273094
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am

dbt wrote:Isn't it pretty (too) early to be thinking about where to bid at Fall OCI? I would think we'd need to wait on our spring grades, or do we place our bids before we get our spring grades. I'm pretty out of the loop all the time for some reason.

On that note, I would like to get a general idea of where I should bid (without hijacking the thread), assuming top 10% at NYU (and expecting to do a bit better this semester given my study habits by comparison).


Another NYU 1L here. Expecting to do better than top 10% is pretty bold! (PS - Do you know what the 10% GPA cutoff is? An upperclassman told me I'd be 10% in his year, but that the grading scale has changed so I think I'm actually below that marker. In any case, I found that even though I did relatively well, the grading was fairly arbitrary and I'm extremely hesitant to assume anything for next semester, even w/ more or less studying.

User avatar
totalidiot
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby totalidiot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am

This is barely related to the OP, but it is related to the subject of the thread: is there a danger in only doing bids in 'secondary' markets? I'm at a YS, but I'm certain that I want to practice in TX (originally from the southwest, and I don't particularly like CA). Am I okay to only bid on firms in Houston/Dallas/Austin, or should I feel compelled to bid on some major market firms just to be safe....?

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dbt wrote:Isn't it pretty (too) early to be thinking about where to bid at Fall OCI? I would think we'd need to wait on our spring grades, or do we place our bids before we get our spring grades. I'm pretty out of the loop all the time for some reason.

On that note, I would like to get a general idea of where I should bid (without hijacking the thread), assuming top 10% at NYU (and expecting to do a bit better this semester given my study habits by comparison).


Another NYU 1L here. Expecting to do better than top 10% is pretty bold! (PS - Do you know what the 10% GPA cutoff is? An upperclassman told me I'd be 10% in his year, but that the grading scale has changed so I think I'm actually below that marker. In any case, I found that even though I did relatively well, the grading was fairly arbitrary and I'm extremely hesitant to assume anything for next semester, even w/ more or less studying.


Well OCI has informed me of the GPA cutoffs from last year (they are necessarily "rough" for us since the scale has changed, but it's not going to be drastic), and my 1st semester GPA places me in the top 10% already. The difference being, whereas my GPA would have been "solidly" top 10% before, it's basically right at top 10% now.

With that said, the top 10% GPA cutoff in the past was ~3.62. I have an A- overall. Like you say, we don't really know whether we're top 10%/top 25%/etc. under this new system until the rankings come out, but in the meantime OCI has said that the shift in grading metrics won't be dramatic (i.e. more than .1). And I think that makes sense too, since the new grading system has been in place for 2 years if I'm correct, so the most recent top 10%/top 25%/etc. grading cutoffs were made for a class that had 1 year under the old system and 1 year under the new system. That is, part of the effect of the new grading system is already represented in the most recent grading cutoffs, so the 3.62 represents 1/2 of the effect of the new grading system.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby underdawg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 pm

well last year i basically got interviews at my #1-11 firms. then a few random stragglers, like cravath and sullivan & cromwell & some nj firms.

my biggest tip tho is to make sure to go to any receptions that firms have during oci. they usually keep attendance

also don't listen to ocs if they tell you to ignore how firms are doing financially. so i bid high on latham lol. what a waste.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
underdawg wrote:well last year i basically got interviews at my #1-11 firms. then a few random stragglers, like cravath and sullivan & cromwell & some nj firms.

my biggest tip tho is to make sure to go to any receptions that firms have during oci. they usually keep attendance

also don't listen to ocs if they tell you to ignore how firms are doing financially. so i bid high on latham lol. what a waste.


Cool. I often went to the ones last fall, and there have been a good many this spring for 1Ls on my campus. I actually like to talk to people from firm, esp. since I was still trying to figure out if I want litigation or prosecution/transactional. And free food and wine is never bad either.

I am still deciding whether I like GP firms or large firms that do almost exclusively IP (Sidley, Kenyon, Knobbe, etc). I really liked the people from the IP firms a lot, but I also liked aspects of GP firms as well.

We all still have a few months, but good to be thinking about it now I think.


OCI gunner.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby dood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Where to bid at Fall OCI

Postby underdawg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 pm

dood wrote:
underdawg wrote:my biggest tip tho is to make sure to go to any receptions that firms have during oci. they usually keep attendance
Unless you're more impressive on paper but tend to make an ass out of yourself in person. After I got drunk and started debating Citizens United v. FEC with a partner...well, let's just say that firm won't be in my top 10. Career services was right, never talk politics with potential employers. Especially in DC.

Preemptive response: No, I cannot "just go and not drink [free booze]."

then at least let them check your name off and then slip out




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.