There are jobs out there for grads of TOP law schools

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UnbornWidow

There are jobs out there for grads of TOP law schools

Postby UnbornWidow » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Some great job offers out there if you graduate from a TOP law school. Check out this Craigslist ad:

--LinkRemoved--

Entry-level attorney (Washington DC)
Date: 2010-03-13, 9:06PM EST

Small civil litigation firm in Washington D.C. is seeking a young, intelligent, newly-admitted attorney to join and learn from the experienced attorneys at our firm. We will provide training and the opportunity to grow with our firm. Requirements include excellent academic credentials from a top law school, with law journal and/or clinical experience preferred.....

Compensation: $30k

-------------------

So, hey, top school grads from Yale, Harvard, Boalt etc? The world is yours. At 30K a year, at the average associate work week of 55 hours, that works out to around .....I dunno, $12 large an hour? Just ballparking. And wash DC is a fairly low cost area, so that is all to the good, too.

And that is just for starters. A few years down the road and you would be pulling in $15 at least. At least!

And all it takes is 7 years of hard work and $100K of debt.

That is Living Large, my friends!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kohinoor

Re: There are jobs out there for grads of TOP law schools

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Why so anonymous?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

perhaps craiglist isn't the best place to search for legal employment?..

UnbornWidow

Postby UnbornWidow » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:34 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:perhaps craiglist isn't the best place to search for legal employment?..

Au contraire, my friend. It is being used by some of the best firms around. Plus, the invisible hand of the free market works in mysterious ways. This is the essence of capitalism, friend. Revel in it! We will have an elite credential that puts us at the top of the heap (especially with that TOP law school JD and law journal!). The evidence is before us right now, friend. A top law school pays off big time. Are you saying that is not a good job offer? Nonsense! That is an excellent job. Let us not be filled with feelings of self-entitlement, friend. Yes, there will no doubt be plenty of competition for this sort of job, as there are thousands of eligible students from TOP law schools. But competition is what we lawyers live for, right??

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--

soundgardener

Postby soundgardener » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 am

UnbornWidow wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:perhaps craiglist isn't the best place to search for legal employment?..

Au contraire, my friend. It is being used by some of the best firms around. Plus, the invisible hand of the free market works in mysterious ways. This is the essence of capitalism, friend. Revel in it! We will have an elite credential that puts us at the top of the heap (especially with that TOP law school JD and law journal!). The evidence is before us right now, friend. A top law school pays off big time. Are you saying that is not a good job offer? Nonsense! That is an excellent job. Let us not be filled with feelings of self-entitlement, friend. Yes, there will no doubt be plenty of competition for this sort of job, as there are thousands of eligible students from TOP law schools. But competition is what we lawyers live for, right??

Please confine your deranged rantings to jdu, or do us all a favor and swallow a knife.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 am

UnbornWidow wrote:

And what are your credentials? You guys love to make angry blog posts yet shroud your academic resume. (--LinkRemoved--) You can't realistically expect any sort of credibility given to you until you establish an identity which qualifies your claims. Out of 40,000 law graduates per year, there are maybe a few hundred loudly bitching with many many many more being at least content with their progress despite a shit economy which has affected most professions and has led to across the board unemployment regardless of education level. Which group should the public believe is representing common reality?

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:11 am

haha hilarious...but does beg the question why you were looking at adds of that variety...

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:15 am

erniesto wrote:
UnbornWidow wrote:

And what are your credentials? You guys love to make angry blog posts yet shroud your academic resume. (--LinkRemoved--) You can't realistically expect any sort of credibility given to you until you establish an identity which qualifies your claims. Out of 40,000 law graduates per year, there are maybe a few hundred loudly bitching with many many many more being at least content with their progress despite a shit economy which has affected most professions and has led to across the board unemployment regardless of education level. Which group should the public believe is representing common reality?

TITCR. There was this one guy on here once complaining about how he had to deliver pizzas or something in NYC b/c his school was basically a "rancid TTT." When pushed further he ended up telling us that he was like top 15% at his class at Vermont and that he had really good job offers in Vermont. He was on here complaining about Vermont's placement into NYC directly from school.
The JDU trolls are basically people that graduated near the bottom of their classes at very expensive lower ranked schools and actually expected to be earning a guaranteed 6 figure salary upon graduation.

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 am

A'nold wrote:
erniesto wrote:
UnbornWidow wrote:

TITCR. There was this one guy on here once complaining about how he had to deliver pizzas or something in NYC b/c his school was basically a "rancid TTT." When pushed further he ended up telling us that he was like top 15% at his class at Vermont and that he had really good job offers in Vermont. He was on here complaining about Vermont's placement into NYC directly from school.
The JDU trolls are basically people that graduated near the bottom of their classes at very expensive lower ranked schools and actually expected to be earning a guaranteed 6 figure salary upon graduation.

Yeah A'nold, if that person was even telling the truth. :) Honestly, these people have no confidence, plunge themselves into situations they can't handle (i.e. loads of debt and an unwillingness to not except jobs....retarded), and are looking for anyone but themselves to blame.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 am

A'nold wrote:
erniesto wrote:
UnbornWidow wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

Yeah A'nold, if that person was even telling the truth. :) Honestly, these people have no confidence, plunge themselves into situations they can't handle (i.e. loads of debt and an unwillingness to not except jobs....retarded), and are looking for anyone but themselves to blame.

Yeah, and then they use the whole "cult group think peer pressure" thing to try to make us feel helplessly naive for not listening to their enlightened wisdom.

It's usually some guy from like Oklahoma City Law School (no offense to anyone going to this school) and complaining b/c they have to start out at a firm making 45k a year b/c they had dreams of moving to NYC and living a Sex in the City kind of life (another thread, actually, if you recall). :roll:

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:haha hilarious...but does beg the question why you were looking at adds of that variety...

This thread is now about people who use figures of speech incorrectly. Far more useful than OP.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 am

UnbornWidow wrote:So, hey, top school grads from Yale, Harvard, Boalt etc?

egregious Boalt trolling

bruciesmom

Postby bruciesmom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:24 am

"The JDU trolls are basically people that graduated near the bottom of their classes at very expensive lower ranked schools and actually expected to be earning a guaranteed 6 figure salary upon graduation."

This is BS. I graduated top 20% of a tier 1 (not top 14) ten years ago and am still making only 60K a year in a very expensive region. I know I am lucky to have any job at all, but I'm looking to quit because it barely pays for day care for my son.

I feel very sorry for you. At least when I signed up for law school in 1997, the word was not yet out about what a scam law school is, so at least I don't have to feel like a total idiot for getting myself into this situation. You, on the other hand, will have no one to blame for yourself for being a sucker and a tool. You've been warned.
Last edited by bruciesmom on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 am

bruciesmom wrote:This is BS. I graduated top 20% of a tier 1 (not top 14) ten years ago and am still making only 60K a year in a very expensive region. I know I am lucky to have any job at all, but I'm looking to quit because it barely pays for day care for my son.

I feel very sorry for you. At least when I signed up for law school in 1997, the word was not yet out about what a scam law school is, so at least I don't have to feel like a totally idiot for getting myself into this situation. You, on the other hand, will have no one to blame for yourself for being a sucker and a tool. You've been warned.

My magic 8 ball shows that your post is about to get quoted and commented on repeatedly.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Note that the ad says "top" law school and doesn't even define what "top" means. Who knows what type of applicant that firm really wants. It could be Georgetown or it could be Catholic, based on that wording and their own opinions.

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:46 pm

ViIIager wrote:
bruciesmom wrote:This is BS. I graduated top 20% of a tier 1 (not top 14) ten years ago and am still making only 60K a year in a very expensive region. I know I am lucky to have any job at all, but I'm looking to quit because it barely pays for day care for my son.

I feel very sorry for you. At least when I signed up for law school in 1997, the word was not yet out about what a scam law school is, so at least I don't have to feel like a totally idiot for getting myself into this situation. You, on the other hand, will have no one to blame for yourself for being a sucker and a tool. You've been warned.

My magic 8 ball shows that your post is about to get quoted and commented on repeatedly.

Future is NOW. I am sorry, but how is 60k/an not enough to provide for yourself and, presumably, a preschool-aged child? Even in "a very expensive region." I made half that working as an entry-level engineer in the third most expensive zip code in the U.S. I bought a house. I bought groceries. I paid for the heat. I bought a season ski lift ticket. Sometimes, I even took vacations or bought ridiculous shoes and handbags. Please, enlighten us. Are you putting it up your nose?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:57 am

AlasLavinia wrote:
ViIIager wrote:

Future is NOW. I am sorry, but how is 60k/an not enough to provide for yourself and, presumably, a preschool-aged child? Even in "a very expensive region." I made half that working as an entry-level engineer in the third most expensive zip code in the U.S. I bought a house. I bought groceries. I paid for the heat. I bought a season ski lift ticket. Sometimes, I even took vacations or bought ridiculous shoes and handbags. Please, enlighten us. Are you putting it up your nose?

Ok now i have to call BULLSHIT on this one. Sorry you don't live in the 3rd most expensive zip code in the US and buy a house on a 60k salary. my zip code is up there in $$$ (long island, NY) but it costs more then the 3-4k net monthly salary you get and its probably not even one of close to the highest areas to live in. Most families around here make atleast $250+

BTW the 3rd most expensive zipcode in the US (according to Forbes) is 10014. New york, NY. Sorry you didn't buy a house there. median home price is over $3 mil. Please tell me how you afford that on a $60k salary.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 am

I have literally never seen a JDU troll from somewhere other than NY. Not one.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:haha hilarious...but does beg the question why you were looking at adds of that variety...

This thread is now about people who use figures of speech incorrectly. Far more useful than OP.

seriously

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 am

BobSacamano wrote:I have literally never seen a JDU troll from somewhere other than NY. Not one.

this, too

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:27 am

neskerdoo wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

seriously

Ugggghhhhhhhhh seriously!! I will venture to say that I have literally never seen the expression "beg the question" used correctly, except by people who are correcting incorrect uses by others.

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AlasLavinia wrote:
ViIIager wrote:

Ok now i have to call BULLSHIT on this one. Sorry you don't live in the 3rd most expensive zip code in the US and buy a house on a 60k salary. my zip code is up there in $$$ (long island, NY) but it costs more then the 3-4k net monthly salary you get and its probably not even one of close to the highest areas to live in. Most families around here make atleast $250+

BTW the 3rd most expensive zipcode in the US (according to Forbes) is 10014. New york, NY. Sorry you didn't buy a house there. median home price is over $3 mil. Please tell me how you afford that on a $60k salary.

First off, why so anonymous?

Secondly, I made roughly $32,000 plus cash per diem and bonus. Nowhere NEAR $60,000.

I lived in a zip code in the suburbs south of Denver, the one that contains Aspen ski resort in case you have heard of that. It is the third-most-costly zip code, according to the GS payscale for per diem and cost of living for government employees. I know this, because I was a federal employee, and they told me. If I got sent to work in New Mexico, I received greatly reduced per diem.

Yes, I purchased a house. It was an 1,100-sq ft two-bedroom on half a city lot. Built in 1956. It was on the market for $156,000. I made a down payment and escrow payment with my savings from engineering bonuses. I had a 30-year mortgage, and the monthly payments were about $900. I rented out the front bedroom to help pay the mortgage, because it cost approximately half of my income.

Not bullshit. The Amurrrican dream, my brother. Too bad New York is making you so myopic. (I am in NYC now so yes, I do realize that real estate is different here and I will forgive you that).

Edited because I mis-typed a number.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 am

bruciesmom wrote:"The JDU trolls are basically people that graduated near the bottom of their classes at very expensive lower ranked schools and actually expected to be earning a guaranteed 6 figure salary upon graduation."

This is BS. I graduated top 20% of a tier 1 (not top 14) ten years ago and am still making only 60K a year in a very expensive region. I know I am lucky to have any job at all, but I'm looking to quit because it barely pays for day care for my son.

I feel very sorry for you. At least when I signed up for law school in 1997, the word was not yet out about what a scam law school is, so at least I don't have to feel like a total idiot for getting myself into this situation. You, on the other hand, will have no one to blame for yourself for being a sucker and a tool. You've been warned.

Hmmmm, wait, no way to back up your statement, right? See, I can do this too. "Omgz I wuz a tup 1 perzentil grade at Universitty uf Harverd and now selz hotdoggs on teh streat coners."

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:17 pm

A'nold wrote:
bruciesmom wrote:"The JDU trolls are basically people that graduated near the bottom of their classes at very expensive lower ranked schools and actually expected to be earning a guaranteed 6 figure salary upon graduation."

Hmmmm, wait, no way to back up your statement, right? See, I can do this too. "Omgz I wuz a tup 1 perzentil grade at Universitty uf Harverd and now selz hotdoggs on teh streat coners."

I just laughed out loud, a real genuine chuckle at this little gem.

Return to “Legal Employment”