Legal Jobs with the best QOL Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tadams86

Bronze

Re: Legal Jobs with the best QOL

Post by tadams86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 am

Posner wrote:A note on California government jobs: these jobs may see significant pay cuts/reduction of benefits and/or work increases because the state is bankrupt. California will need to adjust in the near future - no question. If you are taking a local/state job, examine the financial health of the state, just as you would a company.
Working for the State of California is a horrible idea at this point in time. My gfs dad is a petroleum engineer (specially funded aside from the regular state budget), and he has had all kinds of horrific cuts in pay. There is legal action being taken in the state to stop furloughs, but some fear this would only lead to permanent cuts.

ulv_dropout

New

Post by ulv_dropout » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 am

Yeah, I was talking about a county within the state. We're in better shape than the state government, but we still have problems. We are currently taking 10% furloughs. The indications from our Board of Supervisors is that the furloughs will end in the next fiscal year and be replaced by massive layoffs. So I'll either get fired or get a raise. Definitely is dicey to take a gov job (if any are hiring) at this particular moment in history. Are most private firms any better right now?

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 pm

I dont know where in CA you live, but I live in the valley, and the massive layoffs in my city or starting to roll around in the next couple months. As far as private firms where I live, they are still hiring and paying SA's I believe, which I was shocked to hear. As far as the LA market, from what I know its real tough, especially if you dont go to UCLA or USC. I cannot really speak to anywhere else, being a 0L kind of limits my knowledge about what firms are doing. hth

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”