Undergrad as Firm Criterion

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Re: Undergrad as Firm Criterion

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 am

A'nold wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
If I had to guess, your UG/background will either be a big hit or a big miss, depending on the firm and the interviewer.

P.S. I didn't forget about PM

Meh, I'd better get used to it. I already polarize people whether I mean to do so or not. :oops: My heart is still very much in public interest work, and that's what I'll be doing this summer, so it's only something to think about at this point. I'm just interested to see if anyone does have data to back up our varied hypotheses. This will be a grand adventure with no GPS.

As you go on in school you have to admit that biglaw is a very tempting, albeit evil, enticement. :wink:

Lulz.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 am

Unemployed wrote:Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EfwBWgg0

Re: the biglaw trap: yeah.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EfwBWgg0

Re: the biglaw trap: yeah.

That made me smile. :)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm

One thing people aren't mentioning is how your non-prestigious UG might help you.

Someone who went from UGA UG to T14 Law is going to have an easier time convincing an Atlanta firm they want to practice there than someone with HYPS UG and T14 Law.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Last edited by prezidentv8 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Are UG grades an important factor in hiring, as opposed to just the prestige of one's UG? I attended a well-respected (non-Ivy) UG but didn't have great grades, and I'm worried that will come back to haunt me in OCI no matter how well I do in terms of law school grades (especially ITE). I'm aiming for NYC biglaw.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 pm

I've never had a firm ask me for UG transcript (don't have UGPA on resume), though I don't think it's uncommon if you're applying as a 1L. There's a few government jobs I've applied to that asked for a transcript, but that's it.

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are UG grades an important factor in hiring, as opposed to just the prestige of one's UG? I attended a well-respected (non-Ivy) UG but didn't have great grades, and I'm worried that will come back to haunt me in OCI no matter how well I do in terms of law school grades (especially ITE). I'm aiming for NYC biglaw.

If you're an IP-kid your UG-grades will be a bit of a factor. Outside of that, they make almost no difference.

Return to “Legal Employment”