Disabilities and Government Jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Disabilities and Government Jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Let me preface this with an apology. I just started a new medication and am very dizzy and am not sure how clear my message will be. Could really use your assistance to help me figure this stuff out.

I've been researching this for a while but was hoping someone hear could shed some more light on it.
I have a psychiatric disability. According to various resources a psychiatric condition is considered a disability only if it strongly effects your daily life. I currently feel the symptoms daily and am positive due to past experience that mine will be even more of an influence in my future stressful environments, and in the past I chose to resign from a job due to my illness and its interaction with the stress and long hours of the position.

I've been researching http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWit ... lities.asp and was hoping someone here might have some insight. Has anyone gone through the process or does anyone know of the process in a little more detail? There is a section somewhere on that site that specifically mentions lawyers. I think you have to click one of the Schedule A links and it'll give you details.

I both am currently in a daze (new drug was REALLY effective, and a bit too much) and my internet is being very slow so my research is limited. But under § 213.3102 Entire executive civil service (d) it says something about lawyers and (e) about clerks. Does that mean we CAN be hired under this authority? Or does this mean we CAN'T be?

And what does the non competitive appointment mean? Do I still have to compete, just not take the exam?

Thanks! I really hope someone can shed some light.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Disabilities and Government Jobs

Post by Renzo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I am having a hard time figuring out what you are asking, but if you are trying to figure out what "competitive" and "non-competitive" mean:
There are two classes of jobs in the Federal Government: 1) those that are in the competitive civil service, and 2) those that are in the excepted service.

Competitive service jobs are under OPM's jurisdiction and subject to the civil service laws passed by Congress to ensure that applicants and employees receive fair and equal treatment in the hiring process. These laws give selecting officials broad authority to review more than one applicant source before determining the best-qualified candidate based on job-related criteria. A basic principle of Federal employment is that all candidates must meet the qualification requirements for the position for which they receive an appointment.

Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code. However, they are subject to veterans' preference. Some Federal agencies, the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) have only excepted service positions. In other instances, certain organizations within an agency or even specific jobs may be excepted from civil service procedures. Positions may be in the excepted service by law, by executive order, or by action of OPM
Generally, lawyers are non-competitve jobs under these definitions.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Here are a couple of links that might help.

--LinkRemoved--

Also, something of interest to potential law students with disabilities, the University of Arizona, in conjunction with other schools holds a career fair for students with disabilities every year in DC. Usually only 30-40 employers but it is held in August prior to other hiring events.

http://www.law.arizona.edu/Career/IMPACT/welcome.cfm

In regards to competitive vs. non-competitive. The difference is that some positions are advertised openly by the agencies and USAJOBS.gov while others are not, held in reserve specifically for government laterals, people with disabilities or other preferenced backgrounds such as veterans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks =)

So a noncompetitive job would actually have me competing with veterans and other people in special hiring authorities, right? But what about when you apply the standard way to a job on USAjobs (with the long questionaire and all that)? Does this mean that I have no benefit when applying for competitive jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”