NYU 3L's can't get jobs... video about it

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
XxSpyKEx

Re: NYU 3L's can't get jobs... video about it

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I noticed one student mentioned he did not have any ties to NYC.

In any given situation, if there are two students, A and B, and A has ties to a market (but with lower grades than B) and B does not, A always wins (barring extreme connections - family friend type).

There are a few exceptions, but you get the general idea.

This doesn't really apply in NYC. Everyone in New York just assumes that everyone wants to live there. It's the most self-important city on the planet.

In the past I would agree completely.

I agree that people assume people in law school in New York would like to stay.

I'm just saying that:

Kid A has ties
Kid B does not

Kid A wins (flawless victory).

It is a little more complicated from that, but from what I have personally experienced what I have heard from students from other schools, it seems right.

It would lend an answer to why students who attend schools that feed into markets outside that state are generally decimated (Wash U and Notre Dame seem to have the most said about them).

It simply seems as though a student with ties to Chicago who attends any of those schools would have a massive advantage over a his/her classmates that do not.

Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring partner. If everything was completely equal (which it never is - but it can be close enough), would you hire a kid with ties or a kid without?

Not seeing this at all.

Maybe in a small market, where firms have a complex about taking on someone from a T10 school or whatever and worrying they'll bolt for a big city firm.

But in top markets -- Chicago, DC, New York -- they're going to take the students from the top schools, with the best grades, who they like the best.

There's an interview portion in Law School Confidential about this. The author interviewed a hiring partner from Ropes Gray who said he didn't care at all about local ties, which he indicated is typical of big firms, while a hiring partner from a small New Hampshire firm pretty much said he required a New England connection.

I think Renzo had it right. Out of my OCI interviews NYC offices were pretty much the only places that didn't ask about ties at all. Chicago asked, and LA asked even more (probably because I have no ties to the latter).

Anyway, the kid not having ties to NYC statement doesn't make a lot of sense considering he went to NYU (which is located in NYC).

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 am

Trust me man, you don’t wann go there. I’m going stop now as this email is getting too long, but you should really think about the best interests of your school before you pull out of your commitment.

Mr. Chuck

I bet NYU Law is shitting its pants right now.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
I think Renzo had it right. Out of my OCI interviews NYC offices were pretty much the only places that didn't ask about ties at all. Chicago asked, and LA asked even more (probably because I have no ties to the latter).

Anyway, the kid not having ties to NYC statement doesn't make a lot of sense considering he went to NYU (which is located in NYC).

The NYC firms really don't care about "ties." As far as they are concerned, they are the major leagues, so of course everyone wants to work in NYC if they can. It's similar to how it would never occur to a football recruiter to ask why someone wanted to play in the NFL instead of the arena league.

NOTE: don't flame me for this. I'm not saying this is true, only that the attitude exists.

Return to “Legal Employment”