Worst case scenario

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Worst case scenario

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 am

.deleted. Privacy concerns.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rando wrote:
A'nold wrote:I was talking about the summer school thing. Is that bad?

Certainly not the best. I would imagine that employers see it as a bit of a copout. I don't know many people who go the summer school route and don't also have some legal employment on the side.

I don't think it's always a negative. I was accepted to a short study abroad international law program over the summer before I got a job offer, and also was wondering this. But I talked to some hiring partners in NLJ 250 firms about it. Not one said it would be anything but a plus that would distinguish me from other resumes in the future.

Based on that, I negotiated sort of a split summer in a paid position (actual summer associate, not some $10/hour side job) so that I could do the summer program also. Personally, I think I'd rather have taken the money from the job than pay more money for classes, but the advice I seemed to get was to do the classes.

Now I'm hearing here that it is a bad thing, period? I don't think every situation is the same at all. I'm having a hard time believing that. Summer school at your home school and a part time side job might look quite a bit different than summer associate and an exchange program in an area of law you are really interested in.

There's no way you could have read all of these posts thouroughly and still come to this conclusion. Your situation would be much different, i.e., an exception. Not to mention, you will be working in a legal job, which is completely different from what we were talking about: just classes.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 am

Which would be better: Study Abroad w/classes or just summer school (With the hope of finding some volunteer work or RA on the side)? or are they about the same?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:07 am

.deleted. Privacy concerns.

Return to “Legal Employment”