1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 am

Quick question: So I have an offer to work for a Federal Judge on the 9th circuit or work for a patent firm getting paid $9000 for a half summer. I plan on doing patent work after law school but don't plan on working in the town this patent firm is at. Which would be better for my career, learning experiences, etc?

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question: So I have an offer to work for a Federal Judge on the 9th circuit or work for a patent firm getting paid $9000 for a half summer. I plan on doing patent work after law school but don't plan on working in the town this patent firm is at. Which would be better for my career, learning experiences, etc?

Why don't you split if the SA is only half summer? I think most judges are pretty amenable to that.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby legends159 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 am

easy, patent firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 am

Follow the $$$

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby TTT-LS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:06 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby ogman05 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Split ftw. Otherwise chase the money. Then enjoy half a summer of relaxation

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Patent firm, though I agree splitting would be best and that the judge would probably be cool with it.


ya the judge won't split the summer. Are the people on here saying to go to the patent firm using experience in the patent field or just saying to follow the $ regardless?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 pm

The thing is that the judge job is unlikely to turn into full time employment. At best, it will lead to a clerkship- which may not be that helpful for patent law.

By contrast, the SA job is likely to turn into full time employment. The money is nice, but the key is the job at the end of law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:30 pm

nealric wrote:The thing is that the judge job is unlikely to turn into full time employment. At best, it will lead to a clerkship- which may not be that helpful for patent law.

By contrast, the SA job is likely to turn into full time employment. The money is nice, but the key is the job at the end of law school.


This is true but I definately won't be living in the same town as the firm post graduation. They would teach me a lot about patent prsecution although I have a feeling I would prefer litigation. And yes the money is nice but I could see myself wanting a clerkship but I'm not sure.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Follow the money.
1)$$$
2)Networking
3)Experience
4-infinity)$$

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:Patent firm, though I agree splitting would be best and that the judge would probably be cool with it.


ya the judge won't split the summer. Are the people on here saying to go to the patent firm using experience in the patent field or just saying to follow the $ regardless?

Then go to the firm. I don't see a single compelling reason to go for the judicial internship. If you want to occupy yourself the rest of the summer, see if you can do some RA-ing or something.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Paid SA gig at a patent firm looks MUCH better than a judicial internship on your resume. This one's an easy call, IMO.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Money b/c it's money. I'd take a $15 an hour job for the summer right now over a federal internship.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby RVP11 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:Paid SA gig at a patent firm looks MUCH better than a judicial internship on your resume. This one's an easy call, IMO.


If that's even true (and it's debatable how much having an SA over a judicial internship really matters when it comes to 2L OCI), it's not even one of the top 3 reasons to pick the SA gig.

Priority #1 for every 1L should be to try to lock down something that could lead to a permanent offer. The money you earn in one summer means nothing compared to the job you get coming out of law school.
Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby solidsnake » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Firm. Dolla, dolla bill yo!!

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby underdawg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:03 pm

follow the $, see if you can RA for the other half of the summer

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:38 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:Paid SA gig at a patent firm looks MUCH better than a judicial internship on your resume. This one's an easy call, IMO.


If that's even true (and it's debatable how much having an SA over a judicial internship really matters when it comes to 2L OCI), it's not even one of the top 3 reasons to pick the SA gig.

Priority #1 for every 1L should be to try to lock down something that could lead to a permanent offer. The money you earn in one summer means nothing compared to the job you get coming out of law school.


Might try to list the other two reasons when making ill-founded statements like the bolded.

This OCI-season we saw prior work experience play a big role in call-backs and offer-rates. With a host of qualified LR and top 10% candidates to choose from, firms preferred those who have already shown they can succeed in a professional, legal environment. Having SA experience on your resume, and the ability to have references that can speak to your ability to handle the work junior associates will undertake gives an OCI candidate a decided leg up on a similar candidate with a judicial internship on their resume. That is not debatable.

In any event, I was merely adding another important advantage the SA job had over the judicial internship. The SA spot offers more $, is much stronger on the resume, could potentially lead to an offer, and will provide OP with a more useful learning experience (If OP really wants a judicial internship experience, try getting into a judicial externship program for credit during a 2L or 3L semester). Again, the choice is an easy call, IMO.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby wiseowl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:13 pm

since no one's said it yet i may as well -

if you literally have an "offer" from a CoA judge, you are pretty much duty bound to take it, unless the firm offered you first (and if so, why is this a question). if you're just talking, or interviewing, etc. fine, but if you turn down a 9th circuit judge there could be trouble for your school and for you.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby Renzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm

wiseowl wrote:since no one's said it yet i may as well -

if you literally have an "offer" from a CoA judge, you are pretty much duty bound to take it, unless the firm offered you first (and if so, why is this a question). if you're just talking, or interviewing, etc. fine, but if you turn down a 9th circuit judge there could be trouble for your school and for you.

If TLS has taught me anything, it's that a huge number of lawyers-to-be have literally zero ethics, nor any understanding of why you wouldn't want to offend a federal judge. You are absolutely right, but I've given up playing this broken record. Let people ruin their futures.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 1L Summer: Federal Judge or SA?

Postby wiseowl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
wiseowl wrote:since no one's said it yet i may as well -

if you literally have an "offer" from a CoA judge, you are pretty much duty bound to take it, unless the firm offered you first (and if so, why is this a question). if you're just talking, or interviewing, etc. fine, but if you turn down a 9th circuit judge there could be trouble for your school and for you.

If TLS has taught me anything, it's that a huge number of lawyers-to-be have literally zero ethics, nor any understanding of why you wouldn't want to offend a federal judge. You are absolutely right, but I've given up playing this broken record. Let people ruin their futures.


yea, it certainly looks like this is on the way out as a rule of thumb. may be for the best, but i think 9th Circuit is still a little different than turning down a state trial judge.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.