Decide for me - BBB, enviro nonprofit, or state court intern

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Decide for me - BBB, enviro nonprofit, or state court intern

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Here are my three choices for my 1L summer, and I have to decide within a week.
1) Mediation internship with the Better Biznass Bureau. Just what it sounds like.
2) Environmental nonprofit, doing policy research. They are a great organization, but seem a little disorganized. Also, boring work.
3) State court judicial internship program. I got in through a screening interview and have not been matched with a judge yet. I would end up in a state appellate division court or the supreme court. Yes, it's New York, so this is the lowest-level court of general jurisdiction.

You guys tell me what to do. I have excellent grades, and no idea what I am going to do with myself over the next few years. My previous career was teaching technical writing at a state university. UG in environmental science.

Renzo

Re: Decide for me - BBB, enviro nonprofit, or state court intern

Postby Renzo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

I think most everyone's going to say the judicial internship, but I think the BBB gig sounds like fun. Probably lots of actual client interaction, and some exposure to alternative dispute resolution.

Alyosha

Postby Alyosha » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:10 am

I would say work with the judge as well, since it appears the most directly related to the legal field. The consensus seems to be that it is important to do something legal related your first summer, but it does not have to be paid/super prestigious. The other options don't seem to be sufficiently related to the legal field, though I admittedly don't know a lot about them.

I've also heard state court judicial internships can be rewarding. I'm looking forward to mine this summer.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:58 am

-

Return to “Legal Employment”