1L Summer Associate Positions for URMs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Associate Positions for URMs

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm a 0L starting in the fall. From what I understand, 1L summer associate positions are really only available to people with sick connections, amazing credentials, or URMs. Fortunately, I am a URM. What should be my strategy for securing a SA position for my 1L summer? Should I just spam law firms with a resume/writing sample/cover letterin early December? How should I indicate I am URM- join the "appropriate" on campus club? Anyone participate in a URM recruiting program who can give feedback?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Associate Positions for URMs

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm curious about this too. I haven't gone to anything or done anything for my relevant URM organization, but I'm a member so I get the e-mails. I'm not sure I'd feel confident putting it on my resume. I couldn't tell you one thing they've done, and I wouldn't necessarily want to discuss it in an interview. On the other hand, you can't really put "Ethnicity: <URM>" on your resume. How do we make our URM status known tactfully?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Everything depends on where you go to school. Granted, there are plenty of people who use connections to get jobs, but if you go to a top 25 you should be able to find someone to work for.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Some firms have specific 1L diversity programs that you can directly apply to. It's common for these to include scholarship money.

For example: --LinkRemoved--
One key component of Fish & Richardson's ongoing initiative to recruit, retain, and advance attorneys is the 1L Diversity Fellowship Program. Launched in 2005, the program provides fellowships to five diverse first-year law students throughout the country annually. Each selected student receives a $5,000 academic scholarship, mentoring by members of the firm, and a paid summer associate position in the Fish & Richardson office of the student's choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

1L URM (AA Male) from Harvard

This year has been a bitch. I mass e-mailed a bunch of firms in January and February. As it stands now I have about 55 rejection letters and only 1 interview with a firm, and another with an in house counsel.

I applied to 13 firms in my home market, which is a mid sized city, most of those firms basically called and said, we can't afford this summer, but for the love of god next year please apply.

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

and a few others, but with that said, I know other URM's at Watchell, Cravath and Jones Day. They all had work experience and went to big schools for undergrad i.e Yale, G-Town, Harvard.

So from my experience, its still a crap shoot, with slightly better odds.

oh and to answer another question in the first post; I joined the black student association and put that on my resume' as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L URM (AA Male) from Harvard

This year has been a bitch. I mass e-mailed a bunch of firms in January and February. As it stands now I have about 55 rejection letters and only 1 interview with a firm, and another with an in house counsel.

I applied to 13 firms in my home market, which is a mid sized city, most of those firms basically called and said, we can't afford this summer, but for the love of god next year please apply.

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

and a few others, but with that said, I know other URM's at Watchell, Cravath and Jones Day. They all had work experience and went to big schools for undergrad i.e Yale, G-Town, Harvard.

oh and to answer another question in the first post; I joined the black student association and put that on my resume' as well
Please someone tell me this is flame? I figured HLS would be an automatic SA for URM's if no one else; is the economy really that bad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

Please someone tell me this is flame? I figured HLS would be an automatic SA for URM's if no one else; is the economy really that bad?

The anonymous quoted.

Dear god, I wish this was a flame, but I assure you that what you just read was real.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Does anyone out there have a comprehensive list of firms that give out 1L Diversity associateships? if so, please post it!

Thanks!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Good luck! Apply EARLY!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm

URM at a T30-50 private school here.

I applied to 10 firms in my home market; two of which are coming to OCI (our 1L OCI was far better than I anticipated - 30 employers total).

1/2 for OCI firms (for an interview)
7/8 I haven't heard back from
1 turned me down but essentially begged me to apply for my 2L summer

Firms in my school market are hard to get for obvious reasons.

As you can imagine, crowded firms + unemployed 2L's in the market + unemployed 3L's in the market + unemployed graduates in the market = does not a happy 1L summer make.

However I have noticed that the other URM's are at least getting 1 interview (through whatever means).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm

URM at T14. You seriously have no idea how few jorbs there are.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm

^me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:URM at T14. You seriously have no idea how few jorbs there are.
HYS URM.

Even a blowjob is hard to come by these days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

The anonymous quoted.

Dear god, I wish this was a flame, but I assure you that what you just read was real.
Eff! Well I guess I can try and compete for summer research jobs/Public Interest fellowships or something(which i was interested in anyway but wanted the money from private law firms SA), if it comes down to it maybe I'll bartend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I go to a good school in the Atlanta area. During OCI, I asked firms how many positions they are looking to fill. All of them said 1. 1 position, not just from my school, but for the entire area. Truth is, no one is hiring, and if they are hiring, they do not want 1L's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

1L SAs were never a guarantee anywhere as far as I know. Some of the positions I applied for in like Appalachia had more than 100 applications.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a good school in the Atlanta area. During OCI, I asked firms how many positions they are looking to fill. All of them said 1. 1 position, not just from my school, but for the entire area.
Thanks for disproving the myth that NOONE is hiring!
Anonymous User wrote:Truth is, no one is hiring
Oh . . .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:

I was 0 for 20 in DC
0 for 12 in SF
1 for 9 in Va (no NoVa)
1 for 12 in ATL

1L SAs were never a guarantee anywhere as far as I know. Some of the positions I applied for in like Appalachia had more than 100 applications.
Oh, well great, I guess im probably screwed then, oh well. I'll do somthing fun and interesting next summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey, sorry to "hijack" the thread, but I noticed that there are some HYS urms on here so I wanted to ask a quick question during the rare event yall are here:

I'm a aa male who's currently on "hold" at H and am also still waiting to hear back from S and Y. I've heard rumors on this board suggesting that these schools systematically dont admit most of their urms until April and May. In your experience, is that true? When did you guys get accepted? Your #'s? Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, sorry to "hijack" the thread, but I noticed that there are some HYS urms on here so I wanted to ask a quick question during the rare event yall are here:

I'm a aa male who's currently on "hold" at H and am also still waiting to hear back from S and Y. I've heard rumors on this board suggesting that these schools systematically dont admit most of their urms until April and May. In your experience, is that true? When did you guys get accepted? Your #'s? Thanks
Applied to HLS mid January. Applied to SLS early Feb. YLS mid Feb.

3.8/173
Hispanic/Latino
WL/In at YLS (May)
WL/In at HLS (May)
Out at SLS (April)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:21 am

Joga Bonito wrote:
Oh, well great, I guess im probably screwed then, oh well. I'll do somthing fun and interesting next summer.
You lose out on the cash windfall but aren't screwed for OCI and probably will do something that on balance is a better talking point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:32 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
You lose out on the cash windfall but aren't screwed for OCI and probably will do something that on balance is a better talking point.
Talking Points: the job market's way of saying, "Sorry you suck at playing 'Wheel-o'-Fortune.' Here's a nice can of corned beef. Go on, enjoy yourself!"

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:39 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
Talking Points: the job market's way of saying, "Sorry you suck at playing 'Wheel-o'-Fortune.' Here's a nice can of corned beef. Go on, enjoy yourself!"
When you start doing interviews and receptions you'll quickly learn how nice it is to have 20 minutes of good conversation material in your pocket.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:45 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
Yeah thats probably true. I'm thinking of going overseas for something (not on a vacation...per se), some public service oriented thing or an international externship or something.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 am

I hear there is actually a high demand for Patent Lawyers....so if you have an engineering/science background and you are an URM your chances for a summer job just went through the roof....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”