Briefcase

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Briefcase

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:16 pm

What kind of briefcase (or handbags) do you carry to your interview?

What kind of briefcase (or handbags) do you carry to your summer internship at a law firm?

When you are an attorney, what kind of briefcase (or handbags) do you use?

Suggestions for name brands, web links, model name.

Thank you.

Corsair

Re: Briefcase

Postby Corsair » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 pm

dood

Postby dood » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:13 am

To interview, I sport a black portfolio I got for free from Westlaw. It's not leather (some kind of "leather-like" substance), but it looks nice. It's surprisingly sturdy, it zips, and it holds my papers and two pens.

If they are still giving away these things, I recommend picking one up. Again... FREE!

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 am

lol a folder with the school logo on it in some random laptop-carrier thing. it was vinyl construction

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am

underdawg wrote:lol a folder with the school logo on it in some random laptop-carrier thing. it was vinyl construction

same here, though I try to have my school's logo face my thigh when I'm carrying it around. They're not paying me to advertise.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 am

Corsair wrote:None? What exactly are you expecting to carry to the interview in that? And brands, really?

Ask yourself whether carrying a nearly empty, but expensive briefcase into an interview (as opposed to just a leather folder of some kind) makes you look like a go-getter or a pretentious douche. I think you can come to this conclusion fairly quickly.

Male-centric reply.

I carried a simple black Fossil briefcase in. Our OCI had back to back interviews scheduled. Rather than trying to shove all of the relevant information into a portfolio and carry a purse for wallet, cell, keys, etc., I carried a bag that would fit all of them in neatly. Key is that you don't want it to be noticed, either for being too flashy or too shabby.

If you have a safe place to store a bag, it is nice to just bring in a leather or leather like portfolio with just the information you will need for that interview, but that isn't always possible.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 am

dood wrote:http://www.bosca.com/desk-stationary-writing-pads-portfolio.html
No need for a briefcase, get a portfolio. Bosca is a decent brand that is of quality yet not unreasonably expensive. Can be found at stationary, leather goods stores, as well as Macys and Nordstroms.

These look nice and all but, assuming this guy is a law student, there is no way he needs a name-brand portfolio for interviews. The cheapest one on that page is $130. There is really no need to spend that much money on a portfolio, at least not at this point in your life.

You can probably find a black leather portfolio in your school's bookstore for somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks. There's no need for anything more. Your interviewers will not care. Just bring something.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 am

Ferragamo

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:19 pm

dood wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
No need for a briefcase, get a portfolio. Bosca is a decent brand that is of quality yet not unreasonably expensive. Can be found at stationary, leather goods stores, as well as Macys and Nordstroms.
What kind of briefcase (or handbags) do you carry to your summer internship at a law firm?
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
Victorinox and Tumi are mid level business brands that would work well for a summer associate. Both brands are definitely "hip", target towards "young professionals", so still relatively inexpensive for decent quality, and not overly pretentious.
--LinkRemoved--
At this point I would consider something more classy. Hartmann has been creating belting leather briefcases since the early 19th century and still creates a beautiful handmade belting leather briefcase.
--LinkRemoved--

Rofl! Since I'm looking for a new laptop case/briefcase thingy I clicked your tumi link and started browsing. I thought, oh this one looks nice. SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS! What a joke. Oh but then once you are not a summer any more, it is time for a 1,750 dollar briefcase. The PORTFOLIOS you linked for going on an INTERVIEW range from 130-280 dollars. LOLOLOL. No matter how much money I make, I will never pay this much for these things. What a rip-off.
Last edited by bigben on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guyincognito

Postby guyincognito » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 pm

You absolutely need a briefcase to be a successful lawyer/person. Mine is made of yellow gatorskin to match my shoes. I owe nearly all my success in life to carrying it with me wherever I go-despite the fact that it is filled mostly with animal crackers and juice boxes. Here's a tip: to look super important, buy some handcuffs to attach the briefcase to your wrist during the interview! You cant go wrong with that move.

FLS08

Postby FLS08 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

BobSacamano wrote:
dood wrote:http://www.bosca.com/desk-stationary-writing-pads-portfolio.html

These look nice and all but, assuming this guy is a law student, there is no way he needs a name-brand portfolio for interviews. The cheapest one on that page is $130. There is really no need to spend that much money on a portfolio, at least not at this point in your life.

You can probably find a black leather portfolio in your school's bookstore for somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks. There's no need for anything more. Your interviewers will not care. Just bring something.

I would just like to credit this response. I'm a BIGLAW associate and my "briefcase" (actually more of a messenger/laptop bag) costs as much as one of those Bosca portfolios being recommended for law students ($130-$280). And if I actually interviewed a student carrying such a high-end portfolio, I would not look on them any more favorably than someone with the standard-issue $20 model. If anything, the super-expensive version could be a slight negative in my mind, depending on how the candidate presented himself/herself during the interview.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:25 pm

FLS08 wrote:If anything, the super-expensive version could be a slight negative in my mind, depending on how the candidate presented himself/herself during the interview.

This is the same type of douche that intentionally gives T14 interviewees bad reviews simply because he/she graduated from a shiTTThole and has one massive inferiority complex.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
FLS08 wrote:If anything, the super-expensive version could be a slight negative in my mind, depending on how the candidate presented himself/herself during the interview.

This is the same type of douche that intentionally gives T14 interviewees bad reviews simply because he/she graduated from a shiTTThole and has one massive inferiority complex.

Regular old computer bag - black, not flashy for work. For interviews, I always used the school leather one - it works great. No need to go overboard with anything fancy because no one cares. Its not a negative or positive. A regular comp bag got me through 2 years of management consulting no problem.

FLS08

Postby FLS08 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:

Ha, you engage in name-calling and school-trashing based on a single sentence in a short forum post, and *I* am the douche. Get over yourself. I went to a pretty highly ranked college (easily within the US News top 10), so I am not intimidated by wealth or academic success. More importantly, my firm is pretty selective, so whenever a candidate's resume crosses my desk, it is usually from someone who not only went to a T14 school (more commonly a T6 school), but also did quite well there. If I gave bad reviews to all T14 interviewees, I would end up writing bad reviews for most of the people I meet. Obviously there are hard-working, down-to-earth people from elite schools and spoiled, egotistical brats from lower-ranked schools. Part of my job is to help my colleagues filter out the brats, regardless of where they came from and using whatever cues are available to me during a pretty short conversation. Owning expensive stuff while still in school does not automatically make someone a brat--they may simply have wealthy parents or enjoy those things more than the average person. But it is one of the things I notice, among many many others. If you think that makes me a douche, then so be it.

brigun

Postby brigun » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:50 pm

guyincognito wrote:You absolutely need a briefcase to be a successful lawyer/person. Mine is made of yellow gatorskin to match my shoes. I owe nearly all my success in life to carrying it with me wherever I go-despite the fact that it is filled mostly with animal crackers and juice boxes. Here's a tip: to look super important, buy some handcuffs to attach the briefcase to your wrist during the interview! You cant go wrong with that move.

ROFL!

+10000000000

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 pm

dood wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
Victorinox and Tumi are mid level business brands that would work well for a summer associate. Both brands are definitely "hip", target towards "young professionals", so still relatively inexpensive for decent quality, and not overly pretentious.
--LinkRemoved--
At this point I would consider something more classy. Hartmann has been creating belting leather briefcases since the early 19th century and still creates a beautiful handmade belting leather briefcase.
--LinkRemoved--

You know way too much about designers for a man. Secondly, I don't think that $150 is a fair price for a leather portfolio, that looks identical to $40 Office Max portfolios. Thirdly, bringing a $150 portfolio is right alongside wearing a Breitling to an interview. You're a poor law student, act like one.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I use my $2,000 deerskin Bottega Veneta bag to carry my resume and a couple blank sheets of printer paper, because that is how much I'm willing to pay to look important

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Herb Watchfell just got owned.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 pm

hahahaha briefcase, OP is funny guy.

Return to “Legal Employment”