2L Summer Employment Poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Summer Employment Information

Poll ended at Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:54 pm

I have a job at my dream firm
30%
I have a job at a firm in the city I want to work
24%
I have a job, but not anywhere near where I want to be
No votes
I have a public interest job, but wanted a firm job
8%
I have a public interest job and that's what I want
16%
I don't have a job
22%

Total votes: 37

Anonymous User

2L Summer Employment Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Just a quick poll to see if you have a job and whether it is where you want to be.

TTT-LS

Re: 2L Summer Employment Poll

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Not necessarily, TTT-LS. (I did not make this poll.) I could imagine someone who found a great job feeling that this might look like s/he is bragging, or hoping to see that others were not as lucky.

In my humble opinion, "abuse!" should only be shouted at people who use the Anonymous feature to make fun of other posters, or for other harmful purposes. As anonymous posts go, this one is fairly harmless, no?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Dream firm NYC. Well...second to 'Most Dream' firm, but that firm didn't want me....so screw them!

Dream firm I say!

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:37 am

bump

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 am

are the 9 of you that landed "dream firm" jobs insomniacs, or is the market just not as bad as some people make it out to be?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 am

awesomepossum wrote:Dream firm NYC. Well...second to 'Most Dream' firm, but that firm didn't want me....so screw them!

Dream firm I say!

Yeah, that first firm is crap.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 am

NewHere wrote:Not necessarily, TTT-LS. (I did not make this poll.) I could imagine someone who found a great job feeling that this might look like s/he is bragging, or hoping to see that others were not as lucky.

In my humble opinion, "abuse!" should only be shouted at people who use the Anonymous feature to make fun of other posters, or for other harmful purposes. As anonymous posts go, this one is fairly harmless, no?

i feel the same way. if someone is just being anon-paranoid, who the heck cares?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:are the 9 of you that landed "dream firm" jobs insomniacs, or is the market just not as bad as some people make it out to be?

I don't see how 9 people with a job means the market is not as bad as people (correctly) make it out to be.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:13 am

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:55 pm

TTT-LS wrote:This concept of "dream jobs" at large law firms is a little mystifying. Sure, many big firm jobs are good, solid jobs. They come with large advantages and accompanying disadvantages. But I simply cannot see how one who actually understands the nature of those jobs could ever, in a million years, think that's their "dream."

The above is somewhat analagous to my thought re: people who say they want to "get in to" a partifular firm (e.g., what GPA do I need to get in to S&C?). Law firms are not law schools, and greater selectivity does not necessarily imply a better work environment, more interesting work, greater job security or anything else necessarily. Sure, there may be some general correlations, but in most individual cases one shouldn't just be trying to find the most selective law firm one can manage to get hired by. That path likely leads to unhappiness. Selecting firms based on fit, practice strength/interests, financial health, etc. makes a lot more sense.

All very true, but we must remember that the people that gun for elite firms tend to be the same ones gunning for elite law schools and gunning IN law school once they are accepted. Success to them is defined not so much by rational/mature factors (quality of life, fit, financial health, etc) than it is by ones of position, influence, and prestige. Yes, they're a bunch of whores. And we all know how difficult it is to change one's whoring ways.

May God rest their souls

Return to “Legal Employment”