Judicial Internship with "flexible" start date?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bkthunder

Judicial Internship with "flexible" start date?

Postby bkthunder » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I accepted an internship with a federal judge but I'm not sure when I should start work. On the phone and in the letter he sent me the judge said I can start whenever I want in the summer and to just let him know. Is there any sort of standard protocol for this? Finals end in mid-May so I was thinking of taking 1 week off after finals and then starting the next Monday...this seems like the logical move right?

legends159

Re: Judicial Internship with "flexible" start date?

Postby legends159 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm

sounds fine. does he want a 10 week commitment? just budget in the time so it doesn't conflict with OCI

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:19 pm

I was in the same situation. I chose to start 2 weeks after finals, to leave 1 week for the writing competition, and 1 week to chill out. That should leave you 10 weeks of work, then a week off before OCI.

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:59 pm

No mention of how long a commitment he wants. Assuming 10 weeks, If I started May 24, I would be done July 30, which should leave some time to prepare for OCI, and I'm sure I could take a day off or something for interviews

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 am

I think 10 weeks is a pretty safe assumption. Some judges might want as little as 8 or 9, but virtually nobody will ask for over 10.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 pm

bkthunder wrote:No mention of how long a commitment he wants. Assuming 10 weeks, If I started May 24, I would be done July 30, which should leave some time to prepare for OCI, and I'm sure I could take a day off or something for interviews

This is the dates I chose for my fed judge.

Return to “Legal Employment”