Help me pick my 1L summer job!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which job should I pick for 1L summer?

Work for international human rights organization in Brussels
63%
Work for USAO in secondary market
37%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Help me pick my 1L summer job!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 pm

So I was lucky enough to snag a couple of offers for the summer but am currently deciding between 2.
For the first job I will be able to work in Brussels with an international human rights organization. I'll be
involved in doing reseach for the international criminal tribunal for legislation that will be applied to
several African nations.

The other job offer is for a USAO in a smaller secondary market where I will mainly be doing research
on criminal matters but also some civil cases.

My interest down the line would be working for the federal government one day but I am also interested
in working in international public law. And yes I know how hard it is to get into that field but thats why
I am also tempted to get my foot in the door as soon as I can and start building up a network.

Which one of these would you pick keeping my interest in mind and which one would look better on a
resume?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anmo

Re: Help me pick my 1L summer job!

Postby anmo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

First, I think you should make a poll. Second, I'd pick Brussels. I'm a 0L and have no idea how hard it is to get a USAO internship, but that seems like something you might be able to do next summer while the Brussels gig seems awesome and unique enough that the opportunity might not present itself again. If international public law is a real possibility, I say it's Brussels FTW. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I was lucky enough to snag a couple of offers for the summer but am currently deciding between 2.
For the first job I will be able to work in Brussels with an international human rights organization. I'll be
involved in doing reseach for the international criminal tribunal for legislation that will be applied to
several African nations.

The other job offer is for a USAO in a smaller secondary market where I will mainly be doing research
on criminal matters but also some civil cases.

My interest down the line would be working for the federal government one day but I am also interested
in working in international public law. And yes I know how hard it is to get into that field but thats why
I am also tempted to get my foot in the door as soon as I can and start building up a network.

Which one of these would you pick keeping my interest in mind and which one would look better on a
resume?

My question is: what do you want to do right after graduation?

If you want to do firm work, it probably won't matter as this is your 1L summer job. Both would be a good experience. I would pick the int'l organization though. That will stand out to employers much more than the USAO office.

If you want to do federal civil or criminal work, then the USAO might be better. But obviously the ICC thing will be better for PIL work. You need to evaluate (1) what your preference is for each of the areas (firm, fed, PIL), and (2) how likely each option is. PIL work is hard to come by, so if you are ambivalent between working for the fed and in PIL, then the USAO might be better. Also keep in mind that you can do PIL work for the fed.

Also, are you a Vandy student? I think I applied for the same int'l job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 pm

If you want to work for the federal government, the USAO is hands down your best choice. That will allow you to make contacts with people in other federal government jobs and will be something many who are working for the federal government now did over their summers/ careers. The problem with this international thing for US federal government jobs is that its not going to help you make any federal government contacts and is probably not something many in the federal government have done (not in the rare sense, but in the "we don't know what that is" sense).

Return to “Legal Employment”