What would you do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 pm

1L, T20, applying for jobs in secondary market for this summer.

(Firm 1): I have a job offer from a relatively small firm to work for them for this summer. The pay is not great, but it is paying, so I can't complain. If I accept the offer, they will also require me to work for them 10-15 hours during my 2L year. I don't really want to be locked in for that long of a job commitment, as I would like to see what options I have come fall (journal, RA, etc.)

(Firm 2):I had an awesome callback interview with a very prestigious firm in town. I left the callback feeling like the job was mine. The firm deals in exactly the kind of law I'm interested in. Landing a summer-gig with them is a coveted spot in my class. They are my top choice for the summer. They also pay almost double what Firm 1 pays. However, they have not made an offer yet, and said it normally takes 2-3 weeks after the callback, which would mean I'll still be waiting for 1-2 weeks.

Firm 1 gave me a deadline to respond to the offer. Today is the last day I could hear back from Firm 2 before I have to respond to Firm 1's offer. I initially told Firm 2 of my deadline, and they told me they would do their best to accommodate me (whatever that means). I have been trying to get through to Firm 2 to see where they stand, but to no avail. When I do get through, I assume they will tell me they haven't made the decision yet.

So, my question is: What would YOU do? Accept the offer from Firm 1 (the safe bet), or wait until Firm 2 makes a decision, risking that their decision may be no?

Also, if I don't get either of these jobs, I have a state judge clerkship as a backup. I would rather not do that, because I need to get some money this summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm

I just spoke with the recruiting coordinator at Firm 2. They told me they will not be making offers until March 12th. The coordinator said they couldn't tell me one way or the other whether I should wait for the offer, as they are only about 1/4 of the way done with interviewing. I doubt I can ask Firm 1 for an extension, although I will try.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 pm

What would you do, what what what what what what what what what would you do?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Renzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm

It's a tough choice. I was in a similar situation and took the "bird in the hand" approach. It caused my physical pain to withdraw my app from the organization that was really me #1 choice, but I couldn't turn down a (modestly) paying gig and risk having nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Just accept the offer, then if the big firm comes calling...accept that and renege on the other. Everyone will say not to do this, but it happens more often than you'd think. You gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead.

The one caution I would give is that if both firms are in the same city you want to be careful about reneging because word could spread between them, etc. If the employers were in different cities then I wouldn't have any qualms. I would talk to attorney you trust, or possibly your CSO counselor if you think they will be cool about it (there is one at my school that is), but not all are. Many will say never do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just accept the offer, then if the big firm comes calling...accept that and renege on the other. Everyone will say not to do this, but it happens more often than you'd think. You gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead.

The one caution I would give is that if both firms are in the same city you want to be careful about reneging because word could spread between them, etc. If the employers were in different cities then I wouldn't have any qualms. I would talk to attorney you trust, or possibly your CSO counselor if you think they will be cool about it (there is one at my school that is), but not all are. Many will say never do it.


This is what I would do, too.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby legends159 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm

That is a tough call. I personally would not renege the offer after accepting it, especially if you renege a few weeks later. But if you're comfortable with the repercussions if there are any, no one can stop you.

I find it ironic that the people recommending you do the more unethical thing posted anonymously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm

legends159 wrote:That is a tough call. I personally would not renege the offer after accepting it, especially if you renege a few weeks later. But if you're comfortable with the repercussions if there are any, no one can stop you.

I find it ironic that the people recommending you do the more unethical thing posted anonymously.


I'm the first Anon poster. It is ironic =).

One more caution, make sure CSO won't ban you from 2L OCI if you renege. That would not be good.

Also, either way I would probably accept with the second firm, but see if you can get the year long work obligation taken off. In this hiring climate, it might be suicide to turn down an offer (depending on what your grades are like, etc.).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 pm

From what I understand, reneging on an offer is NOT a good idea. I'm only a 1L, but have heard there can be serious repercussions from reneging. I would avoid that at all costs.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Renzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Man I hate anonymous post. This board is already as anonymous as you want it to be... But, anyways.

I wouldn't reneg, but I agree that it probably happens a lot. It's not cost-free, however. You never know when or who you'll need to depend on for a favor, a contact, or a job in the future, and it would suck to burn a bridge so early in your career. Like I said, I turned down one of my top choices because I had already accepted something else. I told them they were my top choice, and that I would rather be there, but that I felt I needed to honor my commitment. I feel like now if they remember me it will be positively, as opposed to having someone remember me negatively for backing out of a commitment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm

wait it out

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I guess Renzo is a good person to ask because he's been through it before. Do you ever regret your decision? Did it work out for you, taking your second choice? Were you hurt in the upcoming OCI because you had taken a less-prestigious job?

Personally, I would take the safe bet.

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby SteelReserve » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:52 pm

10-15 hours during 2L isn't that bad, but it will add a lot of work to an already difficult year (assuming you will make a journal, doing OCI, etc).

But, the fact that your coveted firm is only 1/4 through interviewing should tell you something, namely, that your odds of getting the job are not great. Having a great interview is not hard. What's hard is the sheer volume of competition. For all you know, the firm is interviewing T14 kids with prior work experience.

I would definitely take the first offer.

ALSO: If you turn down the first firm offer and then don't get an offer from the second firm, what the hell will you do? It will be too late to get a judicial internship, and the best you'll be able to do is a RA position, if you can even get one.

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby PigNipple » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:55 pm

A'nold wrote:What would you do, what what what what what what what what what would you do?


Nickelodeon?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:09 pm

PigNipple wrote:
A'nold wrote:What would you do, what what what what what what what what what would you do?


Nickelodeon?


Yep. :)

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby dbt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Take the offer. If it's a "very prestigious firm" in town and you're at a T20, I would agree that you're up against a lot of T14 kids. Unless you're close to the top of your class, I wouldn't be confident of your chances, especially since they're only 1/4 of the way through. In this economy, getting a firm job 1L summer is a huge opportunity and incredibly difficult. You shouldn't pass up that opportunity at the first firm for a shot at something that is incredibly difficult (the prestigious firm).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Renzo wrote:It's a tough choice. I was in a similar situation and took the "bird in the hand" approach. It caused my physical pain to withdraw my app from the organization that was really me #1 choice, but I couldn't turn down a (modestly) paying gig and risk having nothing.


Anonymously posting just to make Renzo happy :) Just kidding, I'm anonymously posting because these boards are not really anonymous. People at my school know who I am. These boards could be anonymous, but for anyone who post regularly it becomes really obvious. I am tempted to create an alternative alternative identity to actually post anonymously on the other boards.

To OP: I would definitely take the "bird in the hand." I also was in a similar situation, waiting on some jobs in D.C., but ended up taking a US Attorney's offer in a secondary market. I turned town a couple awesome interviews (including my top choice at the DOJ) to take the job. It's 1L summer, so I think the most important thing is that we have a job that we are happy with and that we get substantive experience.

Also, as others suggest, the top firm job is far from a sure thing. I'm at one of HYS and I took the job I was less excited about because I think it's hard to get jobs as a 1L these days.

I would, however, not tell the prestigious firm that you took the other job. Let them get back to you. If they do not give you an offer, you will know you made the right choice. If they do, you can tell them that you took the other offer but that you would highly consider working for them 2L summer ... or, you could listen to the anonymous devils on the boards and simply renege you other offer and accept. It's your life. If there are not personal consequences, a lot of people might go this route.

I would wait until you get the offer before listening to the devil on your shoulder. But I would take the bird in hand so that you are not left in the cold.

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What would you do?

Postby PigNipple » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:54 pm

A'nold wrote:
PigNipple wrote:
A'nold wrote:What would you do, what what what what what what what what what would you do?


Nickelodeon?


Yep. :)


Hooray for the early 90's!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273170
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I was able to get an extension from Firm 1 on when I can reply to their offer. The deadline is the same day as Firm 2's hiring committee has a meeting, and Firm 2's recruiting coordinator told me I am on the agenda. The day of Firm 2's meeting, they still will have another week of interviewing to do, but at least it is further along in their process. If they don't make me an offer after that meeting, I am going to accept the offer from Firm 1.

Firm 1 was pretty easy-going about an extension. I have a feeling I could have gotten more time to respond to them. I kind of screwed myself though, because I brought up the date I could decide by. I think if I would of asked "what date do you need to know by," I could've gotten a longer extension. Just a tip for anyone in a similar situation...

--OP




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.