T-14 3L, future COA clerk, answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nycparalegal

Re: T-14 3L, future COA clerk, answering questions for a bit

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Can you tell me a little bit about your thoughts on the importance of clinical training at your school? Do a lot of students participate in them? Do you learn the practical lawyering skills, or just broad guidelines? Did you participate in one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

All great info in TTT-LS's post. For clerkship apps, the Plan and off-plan hiring is very different. I landed my D.Ct. on plan in the fall and that process was super stressful. If lucky, you get calls from a bunch of judges within minutes of each other and have to plan a treck around the country prepared to take the first offer you get. Glad I don't have to do that again.

For my COA off-plan, the process is more relaxed. Judges call and there is more flexibility in interviews. They respond to apps as they get them so there is less fear that if you wait too long to fly out, the spot will be filled. Further, the judges are more relaxed since they are considering just your application at that time in many cases, rather than all 1000 submitted over OSCAR on-plan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Can you tell me a little bit about your thoughts on the importance of clinical training at your school? Do a lot of students participate in them? Do you learn the practical lawyering skills, or just broad guidelines? Did you participate in one?

I think these are really helpful. I participated in a few clinics/semester internships and loved them. My friends have had similar experiences. For me, they made me realize I wanted to practice law and not just be a professor. However, be careful that you don't fill your whole transcript with them. Take a heavy hitter course (like Evidence, Fed Cts., Corporations) each semester as well.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:20 pm

traydeuce wrote:^^

That was awfully helpful.

Yes, thanks so much! Do you think class rank is more important for the off-plan process than for the on-plan process (though obviously very important for each)?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Can you tell me a little bit about your thoughts on the importance of clinical training at your school? Do a lot of students participate in them? Do you learn the practical lawyering skills, or just broad guidelines? Did you participate in one?

I think these are really helpful. I participated in a few clinics/semester internships and loved them. My friends have had similar experiences. For me, they made me realize I wanted to practice law and not just be a professor. However, be careful that you don't fill your whole transcript with them. Take a heavy hitter course (like Evidence, Fed Cts., Corporations) each semester as well.

I find this interesting. If clinics actually help you learn the law through practice, why is it bad to fill up your transcript with them?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I find this interesting. If clinics actually help you learn the law through practice, why is it bad to fill up your transcript with them?

Clinics are typically P/F. A high grade in a difficult substantive course is much more impressive.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Clinics are typically P/F. A high grade in a difficult substantive course is much more impressive.

Okay, I gotcha. So you're saying that its good to take clinics, but also take substantive courses, or else employers will not want to hire you.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Kretzy wrote:

Yes, thanks so much! Do you think class rank is more important for the off-plan process than for the on-plan process (though obviously very important for each)?

I don't think there is much of a difference. Maybe on-plan a little more important, since they are dealing with a huge stack of apps as opposed to one at a time and you need more to stick out.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I don't think there is much of a difference. Maybe on-plan a little more important, since they are dealing with a huge stack of apps as opposed to one at a time and you need more to stick out.

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful stuff.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 pm

How might one determine which professors would be most helpful as recommenders? And would it make sense to go out of your way to take classes with them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 pm

nattybro wrote:How might one determine which professors would be most helpful as recommenders? And would it make sense to go out of your way to take classes with them?

I'd say take classes you are interested in; it is a good idea to have at least one recommender know you from class. More important though, in my view, is to do research work for a few profs. The reason being is that you will get lots of face time where you are telling them information they need, rather than pestering them with questions from class. Also, profs tend to take an interest in their RA's since they get to know those students and might be willing to make calls down the road.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 pm

What do you mean by the 9th Cir tech/copyright? I thought that all patent, copyright and tm went to the Fed Cir (I can't think of much else in tech); unless you were talking about district courts in the 9th Cir?...
Last edited by starstruck393 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:What do you mean by the 9th Cir tech/copyright? I thought that all patent, copyright and tm went to the Fed Cir (I can't think of much else in tech); unless you were talking about district courts in the 9th Cir?...

As to your question, you are partially correct. All patent issues do go to the Fed. Cir. See 35 U.S.C. §§ 141-145. Copyright issues, and I believe TM issues as well, stay within the normal court of appeals system. See, e.g., Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc., 508 F.3d 1146 (9th Cir. 2007); MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, 380 F.3d 1154 (9th Cir. 2004).

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:15 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I don't want to blow up OP's scene, since this is his/her thread and not mine, but if OP or you all want, I'm happy to share additional views/experiences. I'm in more or less the same boat as OP--T14 3L, COA after graduation, LR, published w/outside journal, going back to 2L firm after COA job if I don't land a follow-on clerkship, academia a maybe, etc.

What is a "follow-on" clerkship....just another clerkship with the same judge?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:23 pm

A'nold wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:I don't want to blow up OP's scene, since this is his/her thread and not mine, but if OP or you all want, I'm happy to share additional views/experiences. I'm in more or less the same boat as OP--T14 3L, COA after graduation, LR, published w/outside journal, going back to 2L firm after COA job if I don't land a follow-on clerkship, academia a maybe, etc.

What is a "follow-on" clerkship....just another clerkship with the same judge?

I think a second clerkship afterwards. I'm doing a District Court and then Court of Appeals. The two are very different so some people, even if doing a COA first, still shoot for a D.Ct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Postby 270910 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm

A'nold wrote:What is a "follow-on" clerkship....just another clerkship with the same judge?

ROFL, A'nold, can you really not think of any type of clerkship somebody might want to apply for after a CoA clerkship ;) I mean maybe I'm reading the language wrong, but...

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:26 pm

disco_barred wrote:
A'nold wrote:What is a "follow-on" clerkship....just another clerkship with the same judge?

ROFL, A'nold, can you really not think of any type of clerkship somebody might want to apply for after a CoA clerkship ;) I mean maybe I'm reading the language wrong, but...

Ah, did I miss a subtle SCOTUS joke?

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:47 am

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 am

good stuff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:44 am

steve_nash wrote:Thanks for taking questions...very helpful. Is there a particular reason you shot for COA? I am actually more interested in D. Ct. (seems more interesting to me at my age) but am thinking of perhaps trying to clerk for COA down the road.

I'm actually doing both. I think you are right that D. Ct.'s can actually be more interesting. They seem to definitely have much more varied work and to be more active. After getting the D. Ct. I shot for a COA since I wanted to get both experiences, because it looks great on the resume, and because it would provide a lot of writing experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:29 pm

will be on here again tonight if anybody has other questions or follow-up.

Return to “Legal Employment”