Summer RA or DA's Office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Who you got?

DA's office
82%
RA
18%

Total votes: 17

McBean

Summer RA or DA's Office?

Postby McBean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:35 am

Still waiting to hear back from a few, but I won't be surprised if it comes down to these two. Assuming I want to do firm work, which would look better on the resume come OCI?

A note on the DA's office: It's a large DA's office just outside of a large city. Good rep in the area...pretty much all of the state AG's have come out of this office.

Re: Summer RA or DA's Office?

Postby 270910 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am

No real difference for OCI. DA will probably be a better experience professionally, though.

smalltown

Postby smalltown » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 am

Can you split it? Is the DA paid? I know a lot of people do a work study RA position and a DA position/PD position/PI something. I'd see if the DA or your prof would let you split it.

McBean

Postby McBean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am

smalltown wrote:Can you split it? Is the DA paid? I know a lot of people do a work study RA position and a DA position/PD position/PI something. I'd see if the DA or your prof would let you split it.

Prof. wants a full summer's work, so that's a no-go.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

A few related questions:

1. If you intern at a PD office, are you looked down upon for prosecutor positions in the future?
2. How does a PD's office look for firms?

dbt

Postby dbt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:16 pm

if you just have firm goals, I don't see why you'd want to RA. The DA's Office will probably be better experience, and RA is only really critical if you want to clerk/teach down the line. (also keeping in mind you may be able to talk prof into letting you RA during the school year instead).

McBean

Postby McBean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

A'nold wrote:A few related questions:

1. If you intern at a PD office, are you looked down upon for prosecutor positions in the future?

I'm not sure of the exact answer, but I have the answer to the reverse question. The head of the Bronx Defenders, one of the most well regarded PDs in the country came to speak at our school. Someone asked her how she viewed prosecutor experience, internship or otherwise, on resumes. She said it is a virtual instant dis-qualifier. Thinking she might be an out-lier, I asked a similar question at the Suffolk County (Boston) PDs office when I interviewed there. Same response.

Something about two different mindsets.

Not sure how firms or DA's offices look at PD experience though. Probably not as harshly, since you can't get much more harsh.

McBean

Postby McBean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 pm

dbt wrote:(also keeping in mind you may be able to talk prof into letting you RA during the school year instead).

Yeah, this part has me leaning heavily toward the DA's office.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

McBean wrote:
A'nold wrote:A few related questions:

I'm not sure of the exact answer, but I have the answer to the reverse question. The head of the Bronx Defenders, one of the most well regarded PDs in the country came to speak at our school. Someone asked her how she viewed prosecutor experience, internship or otherwise, on resumes. She said it is a virtual instant dis-qualifier. Thinking she might be an out-lier, I asked a similar question at the Suffolk County (Boston) PDs office when I interviewed there. Same response.

Something about two different mindsets.

Not sure how firms or DA's offices look at PD experience though. Probably not as harshly, since you can't get much more harsh.

Yea... that was a good talk she gave - I'm guessing you're at BU too.

From what the CDO told me here, RAing isn't really great at it isn't legal experience... its research. It'll help you get a good rec, etc. but thats about it. Then again, if you want to work for a big firm, its all your grades. If you want gov/PI, its more about work experience.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Interesting, so...........clerkship for the luke warm FTW?

Return to “Legal Employment”