Internship UPGRADE

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Internship UPGRADE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:49 pm

So I'd like to restart the age-old debate on the propriety of reneging on an offer you've accepted. I just accepted an offer, but was talking to an attorney at an organization I might get an offer from. He told me that I should accept the offer, but that people drop out of internships all the time (from his 5-10 year experience at a V100 firm). My brother, an attorney at a V100 firm, also said the same thing. He told me that you gotta do what you gotta do...that's biznass.

Thoughts on my situation specifically, and the subject in general? I know CSOs will ALWAYS tell you never to do this, but let's be honest...they just don't want the school's reputation to suffer at all.

XxSpyKEx

Re: Internship UPGRADE

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Here's what going to happen. People ITT are going to tell you to be a do-gooder and that you can't renege. You're going to say fuck it, and do it anyway. The place you already accepted an offer from is going to bitch to your career services office (CSO) and dean of student affairs. Your dean of student affairs and the head of your CSO is going to have you come in and have a "sit-down" with them, and it's not going to be a good discussion. However, you probably won't get into any actual trouble in terms of disciplinary action since there isn't a rule that says you can't do this. The end.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Here's what going to happen. People ITT are going to tell you to be a do-gooder and that you can't renege. You're going to say fuck it, and do it anyway. The place you already accepted an offer from is going to bitch to your career services office (CSO) and dean of student affairs. Your dean of student affairs and the head of your CSO is going to have you come in and have a "sit-down" with them, and it's not going to be a good discussion. However, you probably won't get into any actual trouble in terms of disciplinary action since there isn't a rule that says you can't do this. The end.

Yep. You just saved about a dozen people from having to play out this thread.

Edit: One thing: the OP wasn't clear. He/she makes it sound like someone claims people accept, then turn down V100 1L summer associate jobs "all the time." This seems highly unlikely. But if the statement was about "interns" at biglaw firms (whatever that means), or about summer interns in general, then you got it right.

mumbling2myself

Postby mumbling2myself » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 pm

At my school, reneging on an acceptance as a 1L will bar you from participation in OCI or any other career services. If you're a 2L, that doesn't matter so much, but it's something to be aware of.

amped

Postby amped » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:34 pm

I concur with the second poster.
Last edited by amped on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm

semi-anonymous wrote:
Renzo wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Here's what going to happen. People ITT are going to tell you to be a do-gooder and that you can't renege. You're going to say fuck it, and do it anyway. The place you already accepted an offer from is going to bitch to your career services office (CSO) and dean of student affairs. Your dean of student affairs and the head of your CSO is going to have you come in and have a "sit-down" with them, and it's not going to be a good discussion. However, you probably won't get into any actual trouble in terms of disciplinary action since there isn't a rule that says you can't do this. The end.

Edit: One thing: the OP wasn't clear. He/she makes it sound like someone claims people accept, then turn down V100 1L summer associate jobs "all the time." This seems highly unlikely. But if the statement was about "interns" at biglaw firms (whatever that means), or about summer interns in general, then you got it right.

I was not referring to 1L SA spots. Not sure how you would get that out of my post.

You used the say-so of V100 attorneys as evidence that people rescind acceptances of internships all the time. It wasn't that big of a leap. But since we got that cleared up, I defer to XxSpyKex's comment. We'll tell you not to, and you'll do it anyways.
Last edited by Renzo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:15 pm

amped wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I was not referring to 1L SA spots. Not sure how you would get that out of my post.

You didn't really say much about what internship you are considering rescinding on and what you plan to "upgrade" to ... Just based on the timing of your post I had assumed you were a 1L as well (and you posted anonymously on your first post). If you are got an offer from a large firm for a 2L SA (the only one I can think of that is hiring right now is DLA), and the internship you already accepted was something like the local DA's office (or pretty much anything that is not a firm) then you would be crazy not to rescind your acceptance and take this. Yeah, it CSO won't be happy, but you gotta look out for your own career interests first and foremost and let CSO take care of the ass kissing for the pissed off employer you rescind on. If it's not DLA, or even a firm, that you are talking about then it's a tougher call (remember what you do your 2L summer is closely correlated to your job options post-graduation).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

Yeah, if you're a 2L, and it involves a summer job that might turn into a real job, all bets are off. Do what you need to to get a job.

Return to “Legal Employment”