Judicial Internships worth less at lower ranked schools?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Judicial Internships worth less at lower ranked schools?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I am interning for a state court of appeals judge this summer, and I'm truly looking forward to it. I had my choice between that and a federal district court judge, but took the former. FOR ME it was more a move to get established in the city that I plan on working in (I have few professional connections in the area). Plus, working with the court of appeals judge I get a lot more face time and hands on opportunities that I know I wouldn't receive otherwise.

As far as prestige goes, I sort of figured working on a state court of appeals where I wanted to work was just as "prestigious" or looked just as "good" as working for a district court where I'm running papers every day. I in no way regret my decision, nor do I agree that working for a district court is particularly better than working for a state COA or SC. Then again, just my impressions of the whole thing.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am interning for a state court of appeals judge this summer, and I'm truly looking forward to it. I had my choice between that and a federal district court judge, but took the former. FOR ME it was more a move to get established in the city that I plan on working in (I have few professional connections in the area). Plus, working with the court of appeals judge I get a lot more face time and hands on opportunities that I know I wouldn't receive otherwise.

As far as prestige goes, I sort of figured working on a state court of appeals where I wanted to work was just as "prestigious" or looked just as "good" as working for a district court where I'm running papers every day. I in no way regret my decision, nor do I agree that working for a district court is particularly better than working for a state COA or SC. Then again, just my impressions of the whole thing.

I think grouping state COA with state SC isn't a good method. I disagree with equating a state COA with Fed. Dist., but completely agree that making connections in the city you're setting up base in is an overriding factor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:57 pm

edgarderby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am interning for a state court of appeals judge this summer, and I'm truly looking forward to it. I had my choice between that and a federal district court judge, but took the former. FOR ME it was more a move to get established in the city that I plan on working in (I have few professional connections in the area). Plus, working with the court of appeals judge I get a lot more face time and hands on opportunities that I know I wouldn't receive otherwise.

I think grouping state COA with state SC isn't a good method. I disagree with equating a state COA with Fed. Dist., but completely agree that making connections in the city you're setting up base in is an overriding factor.

I guess you're right about equating SC with COA now that I think of it--I don't think most (if any) 1Ls can even get an SC internship. That's an interesting thing to think about. My other reason was just the malleability of the judge and his willingness to work with my plans this summer since it is the last time I'll have to, say, travel to South America and Japan for 5 weeks for a long time. So I get to start in late June. It is going to be great.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:15 pm

I am interning for a state court of appeals judge this summer, and I'm truly looking forward to it. I had my choice between that and a federal district court judge, but took the former. FOR ME it was more a move to get established in the city that I plan on working in (I have few professional connections in the area). Plus, working with the court of appeals judge I get a lot more face time and hands on opportunities that I know I wouldn't receive otherwise.

As far as prestige goes, I sort of figured working on a state court of appeals where I wanted to work was just as "prestigious" or looked just as "good" as working for a district court where I'm running papers every day.

I think it was very smart of you to start your (hopeful) legal career in the city you want to work in. I am confused by why you think 'running papers' is what a district court intern does. Did the district judge tell you that's what his program was? Again, for me, and many others, you actually do two things: legal research and opinion writing. This is basically as substantive an experience as a 1L can have.

Return to “Legal Employment”