USAO 1l internship ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO 1l internship ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 am

Can anyone give general information about the 1l summer internships with the USAO? Got an interview coming up with them--how much of a resume boost is it to have this internship? Does the internship often lead to permanent employment with the USAO?

Anonymous User

Re: USAO 1l internship ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone give general information about the 1l summer internships with the USAO? Got an interview coming up with them--how much of a resume boost is it to have this internship? Does the internship often lead to permanent employment with the USAO?

I did recently interview with a USAO office, and have some thoughts.

From what I understand it is a rather positive resume boost. However with the economy being the way it is a lot of 2Ls are applying for USAO internships, making the competitions for 1Ls much harder. Until 2L BigLaw hiring substantially improves I'd expect this to continue for the near future. 2Ls who can't get paid summer internships are going to want the most prestigious unpaid work they can get, and that is USAO work.

I asked at my interview; there were 250 people interviewing for 6 intern spots. About half of them were 2Ls.

Permanent employment with the USAO is a whole different animal. Many USAO offices will not hire new grads at all. Depending on whether you're going into the civil or criminal division they will want at least 2-3 solid years of work in either corporate law (BigLaw) or criminal law (big-city prosecutor). It's unrealistic to hope to graduate law school and instantly become an AUSA, even if you're going to one of the top law schools.

HTH.

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Didn't know where else to celebrate!!!!

Just got an offer for a USAO job!!! WOOOOOT!

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:03 pm

I wouldn't call it a boost, but on the unpaid internship scale it's pretty high up there. You won't get an offer for post-graduation though; as far as I know, the only way to work at a USAO straight out of school is through the government honors program, which you apply for during 3L year. This year I think only one USAO was hiring through that program (I want to say Wisconsin).

Return to “Legal Employment”