1L summer, getting down to the wire Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer, getting down to the wire

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I have interviews with 2 judges in early march
I just had a DA interview with a decent chance (showed early interest, met a lot of the DAs early 1st semester, basically put a ton of effort into getting to know them and showing them that I am dedicated to crim , plus my grades are pretty good)
I have a top grade in a class and have been thinking about asking prof if he needs RA

WHAT TO DO?

Do I just sacrifice DA/judge chances to get the RA position? (which might not even exist)
- Any way to ask about RA while still having the ability to back out?
Do I wait out everything and then freak out end of march when I realize I have nothing?
When should I start accepting volunteer positions at legal clinic type organizations? (e.g. immediately)

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer, getting down to the wire

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I'd wait for the interviews and see what happens. And start applying to more jobs.

It is getting pretty late for finding a job, but not freak out time yet.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 am

Is there any way to split your summer? That's what I did my 1L summer, and both the prof and the judge were fine with it. Both, in fact, were happy because that enabled them to offer the other half to other students.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd wait for the interviews and see what happens. And start applying to more jobs.

March 1 is typically freak out time. That's not to say plenty of people don't get jobs after March 1, but that's when panic should set in and you should be doing literally all you can to find something halfway decent. Not good if you (not the OP) sat on your ass until now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:30 am

I'd say that there are a good majority of people who are still jobless (myself included) at my school. Our CDO keeps posting new job opportunities on a daily basis - sometimes even 3 or 4 opportunities a day - so I would say that March 1st might still be too early to freak out. A majority of the government internships have deadlines in mid-March, and haven't even started reviewing apps yet. I know that some private sector employers won't review the apps until the deadlines pass as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd wait for the interviews and see what happens. And start applying to more jobs.

What? Why did I post my "freaking out" thread then? :o

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote: A majority of the government internships have deadlines in mid-March, and haven't even started reviewing apps yet. I know that some private sector employers won't review the apps until the deadlines pass as well.
Ugh to this. I keep trying to keep that in mind, most of the jobs I applied for flat out said I wouldn't hear from them until March or April. But it's still hard when everyone doing the judge thing is settled already. We need some sort of support group for those of us still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”