LLM and OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rmend

New

LLM and OCI

Post by rmend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 pm

If you get an LLM, how does that affect your job recruitment? Can you be offered a job and just get deferred for a year while you get your LLM or do you have to start the entire recruiting process over again in that fourth year? Is there a separate OCI for LLM? Is it any harder or easier to find a job in that fourth year? Thanks

rmend

New

Re: LLM and OCI

Post by rmend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Anyone?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Why would you want an LLM? Outside of tax where it is A) often a defacto requirement and B) often paid for via a part time program, there's really no need benefit whatsover to having an LLM - from what I've heard.

Hammurabi

New

Post by Hammurabi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:56 pm

I've just been wondering the same thing as the OP. Would love to hear some replies as well.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 pm

A lot of law professors have them, so I assume it may help for academia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:07 pm

tallboone wrote:A lot of law professors have them, so I assume it may help for academia.
Never heard of that being so.

rmend

New

Post by rmend » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:26 am

disco_barred wrote:Why would you want an LLM? Outside of tax where it is A) often a defacto requirement and B) often paid for via a part time program, there's really no need benefit whatsover to having an LLM - from what I've heard.
Yes, it would be for tax. What do you mean paid for? The firm would pay you to do night school? How long would you have to be working there before they would do this?

Does anyone know how it affects job recruiting?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 am

I'm doing a joint JD/LLM in tax right now.

Basically, the LLM is no silver bullet. There is a tax LLM OCI, but it is a shadow of JD recruiting. The LLM is a boost if you don't have other tax bona fides, but don't expect to get offers from all corners. If you already have a tax job (fed government or large firm), an employer will often pay for night LLM classes. This is mostly the case in DC or NYC with GULC and NYU LLMs. It usually takes 3-4 years going PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”