2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:33 am

I think this has been posted 15 times. Also, why are you posting anonymously?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 am

Poster #1 is Black-Blue. Poster #2 is generally wise, so I'll let him make his point.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 am

If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 am

A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?
They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?
They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.
Ah. This list still suprises me because I remember researching law schools back then and people generally said you had to be in the top 5% to have a shot at biglaw from a Loyola-Chicago kind of school. According to this list, at that time 15% got NLJ 250 and who knows how many got decent midlaw kind of jobs. 30% of the class could have possibly done well as far as starting salary goes.

I wonder if Vandy really does place a higher percentage of its students in NLJ 250 firms than Georgetown. I know Georgetown has a crap ton of students but that still surprised me.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:13 am

A'nold wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Ah. This list still suprises me because I remember researching law schools back then and people generally said you had to be in the top 5% to have a shot at biglaw from a Loyola-Chicago kind of school. According to this list, at that time 15% got NLJ 250 and who knows how many got decent midlaw kind of jobs. 30% of the class could have possibly done well as far as starting salary goes.

I wonder if Vandy really does place a higher percentage of its students in NLJ 250 firms than Georgetown. I know Georgetown has a crap ton of students but that still surprised me.
I congratulated Observationalist earlier on some very effective trolling. :mrgreen: It doesn't surprise me, though. That place is on fire, and it's small enough that the CSO can take time with every student, according to Vandy's biggest fan.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:18 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

I congratulated Observationalist earlier on some very effective trolling. :mrgreen: It doesn't surprise me, though. That place is on fire, and it's small enough that the CSO can take time with every student, according to Vandy's biggest fan.
Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 am

A'nold wrote: Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?
Where is he? I was his apprentice in fine trollcraft (er, I mean school boosting), but I'm not going to do all his trolling for him. :mrgreen: The answer is, pretty mobile, within the south and mid-Atlantic, anyway, and also in New York and DC. Vandy actually publishes full employment lists, unlike 99% of other schools, so you can have a look. The school is very worth your transfer app, IMO.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote: Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?
Where is he? I was his apprentice in fine trollcraft (er, I mean school boosting), but I'm not going to do all his trolling for him. :mrgreen: The answer is, pretty mobile, within the south and mid-Atlantic, anyway, and also in New York and DC. Vandy actually publishes full employment lists, unlike 99% of other schools, so you can have a look. The school is very worth your transfer app, IMO.

That's good to know, thanks for the info. So, when do the new stats come out? :)

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 am

vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.
lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

jay115 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.
The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.
OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:07 pm

jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?
It's not necessarily that OP did anything wrong per say in using the anonymous feature, but that the potential for abuse exists and therefore the moderators are keeping the use of the feature limited in order that such abuse does not ensue.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm

jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.
If you would like to know why TLS does not permit abuse of the anonymous feature, please visit AutoAdmit and JDU. (It's a similar dynamic, and both these sites are good examples of what we don't want TLS to become.)

Furthermore, if your logic is correct, you shouldn't need an anonymous feature, as you ought to be amply protected under your username. The community here is welcoming precisely because posters are held to high standards; those who are rude, cruel, or obvious flames find homes on other message boards. TLS is a network of friends who are in law school or currently in the application process. Sometimes we recognize that extra anonymity is necessary (I've used the anonymous feature myself, since I'm not exactly anonymous when posting as OS), but this is done only when I have to write about something job or GPA related. When people post using their regular usernames, it creates a community in which friendships and even relationships (there have been three TLS weddings to date) get formed, as trust is fostered.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote: The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.

If you would like to know why TLS does not permit abuse of the anonymous feature, please visit AutoAdmit and JDU. (It's a similar dynamic, and both these sites are good examples of what we don't want TLS to become.)

Furthermore, if your logic is correct, you shouldn't need an anonymous feature, as you ought to be amply protected under your username. The community here is welcoming precisely because posters are held to high standards; those who are rude, cruel, or obvious flames find homes on other message boards. TLS is a network of friends who are in law school or currently in the application process. Sometimes we recognize that extra anonymity is necessary (I've used the anonymous feature myself, since I'm not exactly anonymous when posting as OS), but this is done only when I have to write about something job or GPA related. When people post using their regular usernames, it creates a community in which friendships and even relationships (there have been three TLS weddings to date) get formed, as trust is fostered.
No, the logic of the argument does not follow. I distinguished between "substantial" anonymity and "unsubstantial" anonymity by which I mean the former to mean one does not know who the pseudonym corresponds to in the real world whereas the latter one could be identified when sufficient information exists (eg. - IP address, past solicited/offered information, links, etc). In other words, a pseudonym is not sufficient but necessary to achieve complete anonymity that your argument suggests. Thus, the "anonymous posting" option on TLS.

Regardless, I understand - community of peers who don't slander/cuss out each other as on xoxo.

And TLS weddings? oh my.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:

"Moderating" the anonymous feature seems to derail threads more than anything. Practically every other thread on this forum has someone asking "why is this anonymous" or bitching about it in someway. Mods should just start temp-banning people, which aren't mods, who bitch about others abusing the anonymous feature.

EDIT- If this is c/o 2009 (which were hired as SAs in 2007), I can't wait to see what the c/o 2011 numbers look like.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
I think that Northwestern is doing an excellent job staying in tune with what legal employers want and the data bears this out.
+1.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm

this data is borderline too old to be relevant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:09 pm

wiseowl wrote:this data is borderline too old to be relevant.
Would you rather we use the C/O 2008 data?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:
wiseowl wrote:this data is borderline too old to be relevant.
Would you rather we use the C/O 2008 data?
no, but people sitting around cheerleading their schools based on interviews that happened in August 2007 seems pretty silly.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

Oh man, I almost teared up looking at those notre dame stats. Never forget - OCI 2009. Rest in peace friend.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
EDIT- If this is c/o 2009 (which were hired as SAs in 2007), I can't wait to see what the c/o 2011 numbers look like.
ditto. I'm going to guess, top 1/3 SA placement for top 10s outside of HYS? hahaha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”