I don't understand this TTT will get you nowhere stuff... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: I don't understand this TTT will get you nowhere stuff...

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:09 am

kams wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Every lawyer that I personally know makes $145,000 a year at least. Not even joking. I'm not searching them out either! That must mean that all lawyers make that much right?
Fail @ analogizing. Do people on TLS say if you become a lawyer you have no shot at making $145,00 a year as they say if you go to T3 you have no chance at summer jobs ITE?

sissyclark

New

Post by sissyclark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kams wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Every lawyer that I personally know makes $145,000 a year at least. Not even joking. I'm not searching them out either! That must mean that all lawyers make that much right?
Fail @ analogizing. Do people on TLS say if you become a lawyer you have no shot at making $145,00 a year as they say if you go to T3 you have no chance at summer jobs ITE?
I'm no expert, but I don't see how this reasoning is any different than yours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 am

sissyclark wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kams wrote:

Really? You don't? Try a little harder then. I will help you...

Posters on TLS say if you go to a T3 or T4 you have no chance at summer employment ITE.

Posters on TLS have never made the argument (from what I have seen at least) that no lawyer can make $145,000 a year.

Now DUCY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:HOLY BATMAN, ttt student/0l doesn't understand something!?!? color me shocked.

after all of the studies and news reports, this kind of thread warrants only sarcasm and scorn. dont expect people to change generally accepted views purely on the basis of anecdotal evidence and lots of your indignation bro
I am not your "bro."
haha oh course you're not my "bro." my folks would off either me or any of my siblings for shaming the family with a tier 4 school. seriously, they would suffocate me with a pillow.
I didn't take it you were implying I was related to you. I just think you failed at trying to be cool. Stay square "bro" cause "it's hip to be square" according to Huey Lewis and the News.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sissyclark wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kams wrote:

Really? You don't? Try a little harder then. I will help you...

Posters on TLS say if you go to a T3 or T4 you have no chance at summer employment ITE.

Posters on TLS have never made the argument (from what I have seen at least) that no lawyer can make $145,000 a year.

Now DUCY?
um pretty sure the analogy was for the part where you said:
Anonymous User wrote: I know 3 people that are law students right now. All 3 go to schools in USNWR Tier 3 or Tier 4. They all have, what I would say, are very good summer jobs this summer. Could be coincidence that the only 3 people outside of the Top 100 law schools in the country that have summer jobs are my friends but highly unlikely imo.
his analogy was pointing out your logical/anecdotal fail...just because you happen to know 3 ppl that do x doesnt mean x is the norm...

other poster knows, lets say 3 ppl for the sake of this argument, lawyers who make $145,000. thats it, only 3 he knows and they all make that much. see how this isnt really strong evidence in support of the argument that lawyers can expect to make $145,000?

now if your whole argument was that SOMEONE coming out of a TTT law school could get a good summer job, then okay, of course SOMEONE could. most prob wouldnt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:07 am

I'm so sick of these threads.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:38 am

I'm so sick of these threads.
x infinity

They also seem to pop up on LSD on a weekly basis. We get it guys, OK.
--ImageRemoved--

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:21 pm

OP...your friends are not typical. I go to a T2 that owns it's city, I'm top 1/3, secondary journal, and I'll be spending my 2L summer at a small (2 lawyers) firm. And I'm lucky compared to many. I'm getting paid. Many of my friends, most of whom are above median, have no paying offers. Only the one, who completely crushed 1L and got a job at OCI, is gonna be with a big firm.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:HOLY BATMAN, ttt student/0l doesn't understand something!?!? color me shocked.

after all of the studies and news reports, this kind of thread warrants only sarcasm and scorn. dont expect people to change generally accepted views purely on the basis of anecdotal evidence and lots of your indignation bro
I am not your "bro."
haha oh course you're not my "bro." my folks would off either me or any of my siblings for shaming the family with a tier 4 school. seriously, they would suffocate me with a pillow.
I didn't take it you were implying I was related to you. I just think you failed at trying to be cool. Stay square "bro" cause "it's hip to be square" according to Huey Lewis and the News.
touche. this would be funnier if i still had the bateman avatar, but i still laughed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

I have to agree somewhat with the OP. Despite the fact that I myself am probably going to turn down a full ride at a tier 3 for a debt riden top 50, I have encountered the same. All the attorney's or law students I know have had great employment oppertunities and dont go to t14. I know one student who just graduated from OSU and his biglaw job was held for the summer. He just started there.

Also, does the school attended really matter after you secure your first job? It seems like once you get passed entry level, all that will matter is work experience. All the attorneys I know went to USnews Tier 4 schools (most would consider regional) and work way out of their regional markets, in great jobs.

Thoughts?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm

eberl032 wrote:I have to agree somewhat with the OP. Despite the fact that I myself am probably going to turn down a full ride at a tier 3 for a debt riden top 50, I have encountered the same. All the attorney's or law students I know have had great employment oppertunities and dont go to t14. I know one student who just graduated from OSU and his biglaw job was held for the summer. He just started there.

Also, does the school attended really matter after you secure your first job? It seems like once you get passed entry level, all that will matter is work experience. All the attorneys I know went to USnews Tier 4 schools (most would consider regional) and work way out of their regional markets, in great jobs.

Thoughts?
The school attended allows you to secure that first job. The thing about being an attorney, unlike many other professions, is that you can't just jump in at some law firm making $40K /year and then make your way into biglaw based on your achievements. You have to start out at biglaw if you want to get there ever (the exception is clerkships). My understanding is that the school you attended will matter for around 3-4 years after law school (e.g. if you try to lateral after a couple years), and after that no one will ask you about it. Lastly, the benefit of going to a national school is that you have alumni nationwide making it easier to move later in your career (not to say it isn't possible without that network, it is just a lot harder to do).

In your situation the full-ride at the t3 might be better then taking on full debt at a t50 (but it all depends on the region).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”