Working at county PD as a 2L = f**ked?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working at county PD as a 2L = f**ked?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

I already accepted an offer at a firm for the summer, but was thinking about volunteering at the county PD's office this summer in my spare time. Forget about the feasibility of doing both for a second, and decide - would this would be a huge disadvantage on the prestige scale & detrimental for clerkships applications next year and the general 3L job search (assuming I get no-offered at this firm and can't find a clerkship)?

Renzo

Re: Working at county PD as a 2L = fucked?

Postby Renzo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm

There's no way volunteering for a PD could hurt you, except for the whole "forgetting about feasibility" part. It would be really foolish to make a no-offer more likely by taking on extra non-work commitments. But if you could do it this semester or your 3L year it could only help.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 pm

i dont get how volunteering can lower your prestige

wait yeah only peasants work for free

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:00 am

if its feasible, and you are planning on staying in civil, then I can't imagine PD volunteering would hurt, just say it demonstrates a dedication to pro bono work or something (THEN AGAIN I'M NOT A HIRING PARTNER!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Yeah, the one thing I was worried about was coming off too public interesty to firms next year if I end up volunteering at the county PDs office because I am already doing a clinic this semester, which is PI work like all clinics at any school (although, it's not so clear that mid-size firms or even larger firms with an older interviewers understand that). The benefit would be that it'll probably be way better hands-on trial litigation experience then anything I will get with the firm this summer.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, the one thing I was worried about was coming off too public interesty to firms next year if I end up volunteering at the county PDs office because I am already doing a clinic this semester, which is PI work like all clinics at any school (although, it's not so clear that mid-size firms or even larger firms with an older interviewers understand that). The benefit would be that it'll probably be way better hands-on trial litigation experience then anything I will get with the firm this summer.
. I think it would be obvious to any interviewer that you are getting valuable trial experience with the PD that you cannot get at a firm, unless you're talking about a very small firm. Like I said, can only help as long as it doesn't infringe on your paying gig, which is a big "if"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 am

I would be shocked if this makes any difference to a firm. If anything, it shows them you are an eager little beaver who really loves the law.

Return to “Legal Employment”