Projected Summer Associate Hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jchoggan

Projected Summer Associate Hiring

Postby jchoggan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 am

Regarding OCI for this summer - Does anyone know if firms have begun projecting the numbers of SA positions they're hoping to fill (or general impressions for this summer's recruiting season)? It seems like most people have opinions on this, but without much info to back it up.

RVP11

Re: Projected Summer Associate Hiring

Postby RVP11 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 am

Many firms are just now finalizing how many they'll have this summer.

No firm knows how many they're going to have for summer 2011, yet. We're pretty far off.

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:26 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Many firms are just now finalizing how many they'll have this summer.

No firm knows how many they're going to have for summer 2011, yet. We're pretty far off.

That's what I figured. Funny how the firms don't have a clue yet, but some kids on here act like they know how it'll be. I guess students just love to speculate.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:10 am

jchoggan wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Many firms are just now finalizing how many they'll have this summer.

That's what I figured. Funny how the firms don't have a clue yet, but some kids on here act like they know how it'll be. I guess students just love to speculate.

There is a difference between knowing "how it will be" and knowing exact numbers. I've spoken with many hiring partners and managers at various biglaw firms, and have developed a good sense of what the OCI for next fall will look like in historic terms. I would never ask about the exact number to be hired, so I can't tell you that, but I do have a general sense of "how it'll be."

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 am

According to our admissions office, projections are that my class (graduating '11, OCI last summer) is supposed to be the worst. My guess is that they got that info from career services who in turn got that from their market consultants. I have no idea where THEY got that from though.

If hiring tracks the broad economy and there are expectations that general employment will get better (see the recent Fed rate move), I believe it. I also believe it when you consider some firms (such as some Sidley offices) are actually getting some people who were deferred to come sooner.

Obviously none of this is concrete, but if I were to put money on it, I would say that graduating class of '12 (that does OCI this upcoming summer) does better overall than '11.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 am

Yes, I think it's generally accepted that 2012 will have it better than 2011 at OCI. But probably not as good as 2010, though fortunately 2012 probably won't have to worry about deferrals and no-offers.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 am

Renzo wrote:
jchoggan wrote:

There is a difference between knowing "how it will be" and knowing exact numbers. I've spoken with many hiring partners and managers at various biglaw firms, and have developed a good sense of what the OCI for next fall will look like in historic terms. I would never ask about the exact number to be hired, so I can't tell you that, but I do have a general sense of "how it'll be."

So... how will it be?

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:59 am

Unless the financial system actually goes under entirely, I can say with mathematical certainty that class of 2012 SA hiring will be better than 2011.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:05 am

When this question was posed to a few partners who came into speak as a part of a panel discussion, they gave their opinion that they thought a modest uptick, at best, over the c/o 2011.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 am

freeflowfox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
jchoggan wrote:

So... how will it be?

AwesomePossum and Chadwick have it right. The general consensus is that business is slowly picking up, so things will be slightly better than last year, but still not great. Expect less rescinded offers/no-offerd summers, etc., but things are still going to be tough for us.

Return to “Legal Employment”