URM OCI Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URM OCI Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:58 am

1L urm in the top 35-40% at a t40 school. I got a bunch of interviews at firms which had much higher grade cut-offs than what my grades were, but was shut out at firms with lower "preferred gpa" requirements.

I know the general consensus is that if they gave you an interview, you at least have a shot. However, I have spoken to some of my non-urm classmates who said during their interviews, the interviewer was basically disinterested from the jump. To me that indicates that, at least in some instances, interviews are handed out fairly arbitrarily.

I'm left to wonder if i'm just filling some sort of "interview quota" at the better firms without really having a shot at competing for a position. Then I feel screwed because the firms at which I would have been competitive completely snubbed me.

Any thoughts on this?

Anonymous User

Re: URM OCI Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm

op here: would really like ANY thoughts on this...

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:40 am

URMS are often held to a different standard. Maybe you're just getting jerked around, but maybe you're not.

enigmaingr

New

Post by enigmaingr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 am

Hard to say. Some of the better firms that you are getting interviews from may have work from corporate clients that require a certain amount of diversity in legal staff. They may be lacking a prerequisite to bid for certain companies' work. You may be fitting a quota but you have a legitimate chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”