Transfer OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Transfer OCI Results

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm

The whole reason to transfer is for better job opportunities. It seems like securing a good job requires summering at a firm during your 2L year, the hiring for which is done before you have any 2L grades. As a transfer you will have old school grades only when interviewing at OCI. I have seen this discussed in a few other threads but since there seems to be a lot of people looking to transfer now, having the info on OCI results in one place would be beneficial. So if there are any 2L, 3L, or post-grad transfers out there please post how 2L OCI went so us hopefuls can get a picture of what awaits us if we decide to take the leap and transfer.

Mods - would it be possible to get a anonymous feature going so people wouldn't have to out themselves revealing how they did?

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

I've asked alot of people, and they say that it is nonsense and that while first year grades do matter, you 2L grades get you hired. But what do I know, I am just an OL.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby apper123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am

Aloha4 wrote: I am just an OL.


Could you put this first in your post next time so I stop reading?

And you're wrong.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am

apper123 wrote:
Aloha4 wrote: I am just an OL.


Could you put this first in your post next time so I stop reading?

And you're wrong.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby apper123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am

And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

It seems like transfer students were having a particularly hard time last OCI

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:47 am

apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am

JPU wrote:The whole reason to transfer is for better job opportunities. It seems like securing a good job requires summering at a firm during your 2L year, the hiring for which is done before you have any 2L grades. As a transfer you will have old school grades only when interviewing at OCI. I have seen this discussed in a few other threads but since there seems to be a lot of people looking to transfer now, having the info on OCI results in one place would be beneficial. So if there are any 2L, 3L, or post-grad transfers out there please post how 2L OCI went so us hopefuls can get a picture of what awaits us if we decide to take the leap and transfer.

Mods - would it be possible to get a anonymous feature going so people wouldn't have to out themselves revealing how they did?


I wouldn't say that this is the only reason to transfer ... I plan to transfer for reasons unrelated to job prospects.

Back to the topic at hand, I heard that the results were mixed, but were for the most part in line with results of the school as a whole. Transfering gave certain individuals access to firms that they would not have otherwise had access to, but by no means was a golden ticket to solidifying a job.

AtticusFinch
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby AtticusFinch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm

, I am an OL. <<< This is the best advise he gave you.

Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby apper123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.


But again, I am an OL.

Why do you keep hiding this in the bottom of your posts on me? Dammit!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.

Your 1L grades are extraordinarily important in terms of job prospects because they are essentially all that firms have to look at during OCI (besides your 1L summer gig, which is not unimportant but certainly no where near as important as your grades). How you do during OCI basically determines the trajectory of your career, especially if you want to be hired by a Biglaw firm. If you're not gunning for Biglaw (which practically everyone on TLS is, with noted exceptions) then your 1L grades may not matter quite as much, but they are still significant because they solidify your class rank; after 1L, the curve in most classes is relaxed significantly (at my school it goes from a 3.15-3.2 to a 3.6). This makes it much more difficult to compete for top grades if you performed poorly during your first year.

But honestly do your research before posting in the transfers thread, please, all of this information is readily available.

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 pm

apper123 wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.


But again, I am an OL.

Why do you keep hiding this in the bottom of your posts on me? Dammit!



Homosexual.... needs to come up with another joke to make himself feel better.

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.

Your 1L grades are extraordinarily important in terms of job prospects because they are essentially all that firms have to look at during OCI (besides your 1L summer gig, which is not unimportant but certainly no where near as important as your grades). How you do during OCI basically determines the trajectory of your career, especially if you want to be hired by a Biglaw firm. If you're not gunning for Biglaw (which practically everyone on TLS is, with noted exceptions) then your 1L grades may not matter quite as much, but they are still significant because they solidify your class rank; after 1L, the curve in most classes is relaxed significantly (at my school it goes from a 3.15-3.2 to a 3.6). This makes it much more difficult to compete for top grades if you performed poorly during your first year.

But honestly do your research before posting in the transfers thread, please, all of this information is readily available.


Could someone tell me exactly what OCI is and what it entails?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.

Your 1L grades are extraordinarily important in terms of job prospects because they are essentially all that firms have to look at during OCI (besides your 1L summer gig, which is not unimportant but certainly no where near as important as your grades). How you do during OCI basically determines the trajectory of your career, especially if you want to be hired by a Biglaw firm. If you're not gunning for Biglaw (which practically everyone on TLS is, with noted exceptions) then your 1L grades may not matter quite as much, but they are still significant because they solidify your class rank; after 1L, the curve in most classes is relaxed significantly (at my school it goes from a 3.15-3.2 to a 3.6). This makes it much more difficult to compete for top grades if you performed poorly during your first year.

But honestly do your research before posting in the transfers thread, please, all of this information is readily available.


Could someone tell me exactly what OCI is and what it entails?


You tried to give OCI advice and you don't know what it is? What kind of Palin prodigy are you?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Aloha4 wrote:Could someone tell me exactly what OCI is and what it entails?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/search-f ... a.y=0#1034

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm

The transfer forum seems to continually get 0L's giving out either irrelevant information or flat out incorrect info.

The transfer group on yahoo has some really limited employment info but it seems to be only a few self reported people. Anecdotally there have been contrasting views on here, some say transfers did fine, other say they got raped.

I think it may come into play if the new school is in the same geographic area that way the firm has some type of idea on the original school in general and what the grades actually mean.

I also am interested in how transfer do in with clerkships, since it may be tough to get LOR's starting all over at a new school

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You tried to give OCI advice and you don't know what it is? What kind of Palin prodigy are you?


Ok, exactly where did I give advice and why am I all of a sudden being compared to Palin lol? Is this some sort or TLS gunner attempt to put me down? I'm just a curious OL who wants to find out if transferring schools makes any difference when applying for jobs.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You tried to give OCI advice and you don't know what it is? What kind of Palin prodigy are you?


Ok, exactly where did I give advice and why am I all of a sudden being compared to Palin lol? Is this some sort or TLS gunner attempt to put me down? I'm just a curious OL who wants to find out if transferring schools makes any difference when applying for jobs.


Read don't post.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You tried to give OCI advice and you don't know what it is? What kind of Palin prodigy are you?


Ok, exactly where did I give advice and why am I all of a sudden being compared to Palin lol? Is this some sort or TLS gunner attempt to put me down? I'm just a curious OL who wants to find out if transferring schools makes any difference when applying for jobs.

Here's some advice: don't worry about transferring until you are in law school and in a position to transfer.

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You tried to give OCI advice and you don't know what it is? What kind of Palin prodigy are you?


Ok, exactly where did I give advice and why am I all of a sudden being compared to Palin lol? Is this some sort or TLS gunner attempt to put me down? I'm just a curious OL who wants to find out if transferring schools makes any difference when applying for jobs.


Read don't post.


Lol alright cupcake.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby apper123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm

.

(this sounds like the beginning of a bad joke)
Last edited by apper123 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby apper123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:The evolving argument in this thread made me lol...also, I think 0L's should have to submit their posts to a review board before being allowed to write in the transfer forum...some of these threads are good at first, but become devoid of usefulness when some 0L's jump in...just my 2cents...anyone agree :wink:


aloha might

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
apper123 wrote:And I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of bad to give unsubstantiated (and ultimately incorrect) advice on a board like this (which people turn to for advice to make important life decisions, albeit while taking the advice with a grain of salt).


Well you are pretty rude. I never claimed that the information was correct or incorrect. All I saw was that I had been given that information from people that have recently graduated from law school. Before hearing this, I had heard that your 1L internship determines what job you ultimately got. So I asked the few friends that I had just mentioned, and they told me that this wasn't true at all. This information is not unsubstantiated, although it may be incorrect.

My reason for asking the was because I wanted to figure out what happened if I transferred. The reason I do somewhat believe this is because of the whole transferring process. What would be the point of transferring from a T3- T14 if it did not help your job prospects? But again, I am an OL. You seem to have some more experience with this so many you can elaborate... in a not so rude way.


But again, I am an OL.

Why do you keep hiding this in the bottom of your posts on me? Dammit!



Homosexual.... needs to come up with another joke to make himself feel better.


Homophobia, or awkward come on?

Aloha4
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Transfer OCI Results

Postby Aloha4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Guys, you are simply just wrong on this one. I've checked with quite a few sources. First year grades are not that important. You should focus on your resume.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.