Prosecutor pay

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Prosecutor pay

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Anyone know the pay scale for ADA or ASA positions in bigger cities? (Manhattan, DC area, Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, etc.)

I assume most places it'll be around $45-$50k to start, but most offices don't put this info on their Web sites.

I know in South Florida, assistant state's attorneys start around $40k, but have great benefits and chances for promotions.

User avatar
BigFatPanda
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

scribelaw wrote:Anyone know the pay scale for ADA or ASA positions in bigger cities? (Manhattan, DC area, Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, etc.)

I assume most places it'll be around $45-$50k to start, but most offices don't put this info on their Web sites.

I know in South Florida, assistant state's attorneys start around $40k, but have great benefits and chances for promotions.


According to an episode in Law and Order, Manhattan EADA Jack McCoy gets pay 100k a year (Early 2000). That salary doubles if you run for DA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm

I believe Manhattan pays $57,000 to start. If you're an EADA I'm pretty sure you're at around 140 but it obviously takes years and years to get there. I used to work in a neighboring DA's Office with a similar payscale - people about 5 years in were making $65k, people 10 years in made about $80, and anyone with a supervisory title made over $100.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby underdawg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 am

the manhattan DA himself made 150k

so consider that the ceiling on manhattan DA salaries.

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby frost » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

underdawg wrote:the manhattan DA himself made 150k

so consider that the ceiling on manhattan DA salaries.


I saw somewhere that the Bronx DA made 160k in 2007 and 190k in 2008. I believe all the DAs make the same amount so I think that applies to Manhattan also. I can't remember the source so don't quote me, but I just remember being surprised at the huge increase.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby scribelaw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I believe Manhattan pays $57,000 to start. If you're an EADA I'm pretty sure you're at around 140 but it obviously takes years and years to get there. I used to work in a neighboring DA's Office with a similar payscale - people about 5 years in were making $65k, people 10 years in made about $80, and anyone with a supervisory title made over $100.


Hey thanks!

That's a better starting salary than I would have thought.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Grad_Student » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 pm

60k starting with overtime Harris (Houston) and surrounding counties

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Oban » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 pm

IIRC, in the bay area starting is closer to sig figures.

User avatar
McBean
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby McBean » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm

36K in Boston (Suffolk County) starting

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:01 pm

McBean wrote:36K in Boston (Suffolk County) starting


That's sounds pretty damn low. You sure about that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 am

I have been told Attorney 6 (i dont know if this is a CA rank or a rank like you see in federal jobs) makes less than 100k a year in the bay area, and this is a supervisor rank.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:02 am

underdawg wrote:the manhattan DA himself made 150k

so consider that the ceiling on manhattan DA salaries.

Glad to see you're still around.

DURS
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby DURS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Queens, NY starts at $53,000 for law school graduates and $54,000 for admitted attorneys.

Nassau County, NY starts at $50,000 for law school graduates and $52,000 once admitted to the bar.

User avatar
McBean
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby McBean » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
McBean wrote:36K in Boston (Suffolk County) starting


That's sounds pretty damn low. You sure about that?



No. Looks like they just got bumped to 40K. Every other county, except for Berkshire, is at 37,500.

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby hank44 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

Keep in mind that, at least in Manhattan, ADA positions are extremely difficult to get your hands on...even more so if you don't get a chance to work there as a law student in the summers, etc. The ratio of applicants to job offers is staggering.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Prosecutor pay

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:44 pm

hank44 wrote:Keep in mind that, at least in Manhattan, ADA positions are extremely difficult to get your hands on...even more so if you don't get a chance to work there as a law student in the summers, etc. The ratio of applicants to job offers is staggering.


+1. Smaller metro areas are tough too. I was talking to an ADA in one of the metro counties of Portland, OR and he said they get about 100 applicants for every entry level spot they advertise (it might have been 200 actually, I can't recall, but even 100 is a lot). I would imagine the Manhattan DA gets way more than this, in part because of Law & Order.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.