bogus claims

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

bogus claims

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

A guy set up a "company" in his own name, and on his website he makes several bogus claims. He claims that he was once the associate director of a big-name agency in the U.S., though in reality he was only a freelance (mostly unpaid) editor for their newsletter. During that period he was working at a firm in Canada and is still with the same firm. He also claims to have another special position at an even more prominent international agency. He uses the website to generate businesses for himself.

the question is, can the big-name agency sue him? I heard from my pals that no one will sue him. The agency has not suffered real damages.

This is so unjust - apparently he's gotten businesses from all over the world.

chadwick218

Re: bogus claims

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A guy set up a "company" in his own name, and on his website he makes several bogus claims. He claims that he was once the associate director of a big-name agency in the U.S., though in reality he was only a freelance (mostly unpaid) editor for their newsletter. During that period he was working at a firm in Canada and is still with the same firm. He also claims to have another special position at an even more prominent international agency. He uses the website to generate businesses for himself.

the question is, can the big-name agency sue him? I heard from my pals that no one will sue him. The agency has not suffered real damages.

This is so unjust - apparently he's gotten businesses from all over the world.

Sounds eerily similar to a 1L writing assignment ... I won't bite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:53 pm

do you have such writing assignment topics?????
seriously, if this was a 1L writing topic, then I would have gotten plenty of information from my prof and would merely have to parrot what she has said.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you have such writing assignment topics?????
seriously, if this was a 1L writing topic, then I would have gotten plenty of information from my prof and would merely have to parrot what she has said.

a topic such as this would not be farfetched. with respect to being given "plenty of information," often the assignment will be given in the form of a short story or set of facts that are not that much more detailed than what was provided above.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Your credibility would be furthered if you had not posted anonymously.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Your credibility would be furthered if you had not posted anonymously.

I'm sure that there is a very good reason for posting a legal hypo anonymously that has nothing to do with cheating...

...now if only the OP would tell us what it is....

Return to “Legal Employment”