RA vs. In-House GC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RA vs. In-House GC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 am

I was offered a in-house position at a hospital GC in a different state, although am having great difficulty finding affordable housing for only three months. I was also offered an RA position here at LS and would likely make 4,000 for the summer as I could remain in my current housing which I had already budgeted for and is substantially less. I love the GC position and city, however feel I'd be passing up 4000 which I could really use next year.

Anonymous User

Re: RA vs. In-House GC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Quite certain industry standard is that GC interns are paid at market, so ~ $1200-1700 a week. I do not see how you could not find affordable housing for 3 months on that type of salary and still pocket some $$ for school next year. Even in the most expensive cities your first month's salary could cover rent and food for 3 months, and you can pocket 2 months.

Take the GC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quite certain industry standard is that GC interns are paid at market, so ~ $1200-1700 a week. I do not see how you could not find affordable housing for 3 months on that type of salary and still pocket some $$ for school next year. Even in the most expensive cities your first month's salary could cover rent and food for 3 months, and you can pocket 2 months.

Take the GC.
Where on earth did u hear that? I was under the impression that many/most GC intern positions were unpaid, and I would think that OP would know if the position paid or not...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quite certain industry standard is that GC interns are paid at market, so ~ $1200-1700 a week. I do not see how you could not find affordable housing for 3 months on that type of salary and still pocket some $$ for school next year. Even in the most expensive cities your first month's salary could cover rent and food for 3 months, and you can pocket 2 months.

Take the GC.
Where on earth did u hear that? I was under the impression that many/most GC intern positions were unpaid, and I would think that OP would know if the position paid or not...
dammit, hit anonymous quote by mistake

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Not all in house summer positions are paid - it depends on the company. And I've never heard that you automatically get the market rate. My understanding (which is based on my research into these types of summer jobs) is that the company will pay its interns whatever it wants (and that could be $0).

That said, if you can get funding from your school (not always possible) or credit (slightly more likely than funding), then the scale weighs heavily in favor of the in house position. Legal experience trumps no legal experience, especially if you're a 1L.

I'd also like to add that you should think long term, not short term. Where will that $4,000 RA job get you at fall OCI?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:08 pm

the fledgling wrote:Not all in house summer positions are paid - it depends on the company. And I've never heard that you automatically get the market rate. My understanding (which is based on my research into these types of summer jobs) is that the company will pay its interns whatever it wants (and that could be $0).

That said, if you can get funding from your school (not always possible) or credit (slightly more likely than funding), then the scale weighs heavily in favor of the in house position. Legal experience trumps no legal experience, especially if you're a 1L.

I'd also like to add that you should think long term, not short term. Where will that $4,000 RA job get you at fall OCI?
Yea, I got 2 GC offers... both unpaid. Most 1Ls I know are getting 0 for in house work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”