The Future of Law is International Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

International Law

Good
45%
Dank
55%

Total votes: 49

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: The Future of Law is International

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Be careful trumpeting the glorious future of international law here on TLS; there are some people for whom IL is as much a figment of popular mythology as are unicorns, leprechauns, and compassionate conservatism. I'm serving as TA for a course on International Law and the US Legal System right now, so I guess that means I'm either a ghost roaming the halls of the university or I'm delusional and strapped to a board inside a mental institution. Idiots...
No one has claimed that IL doesn't exist in academia. The claim is that it doesn't really exist in practice. Idiot...
Fixed

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Be careful trumpeting the glorious future of international law here on TLS; there are some people for whom IL is as much a figment of popular mythology as are unicorns, leprechauns, and compassionate conservatism. I'm serving as TA for a course on International Law and the US Legal System right now, so I guess that means I'm either a ghost roaming the halls of the university or I'm delusional and strapped to a board inside a mental institution. Idiots...
No one has claimed that IL doesn't exist in academia. The claim is that it doesn't really exist in practice.
It does exist in practice, but not everyone gets to be a prosecutor in the ICJ. The work in the area is somewhat limited right now, but there are certain areas that will likely see growth in the next few years, especially if post-Kyoto ever gets ironed out. Does this mean people will be flying to Brussels every week? Of course not. But does it mean State Dept. might have to bulk up its IL staff in substantive fields of IL, probably.

swc65

Silver

Re: Is International Law Any Good, or Just Dank?

Post by swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Well people mean two things when they say 'international law': international law as in geneva convention and human rights ngos... yea, that doesn't exist. on the other hand, there is transnational law, as in working within multiple national legal systems. That does exist, I can attest to it personally as I know quite a few young attorneys working ny london, paris, zurich, and new york working on international commerce that are involved to some extent in 'trans-national law.' For example, a good friend from college who graduated Columbia two years ago now works in the Paris office of a V10 firm with a partner who advises French companies of American securities law and vice versa.

Dream job!! drewl

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:07 pm

disco_barred wrote:http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype

Your goals are fine, but you need to really refine them. Right now you are interested in a field that doesn't exist, and that's unfortunate, but there are still niches to explore. International tax certainly exists, but it's probably going to be more about finding a firm that has a cool tax practice with international type clients, you know? And there are firms that have offices abroad, they just won't be hiring people to handle their busy African human rights / Japanese whaling regulation dockets ;)
Although I haven't received my acceptance letter from Columbia yet, I noticed that they have the largest collection of Korean Law written in English (Korean Law Center). The school also has the best IL program (U.S. news... blah). I'm very interested in pursuing international tax or securities law (learning the rules in both jurisdiction).

Does anyone know exactly how these "Law Centers" (i.e. Korean Law Center, Center on Criminal Justice, Center on Law & Philosophy, etc) actually assist students in acquiring jobs in related fields? Or is it all just dank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 pm

I am out here in the field working with UN employees and there are heaps of American lawyers out here. It's not traditional legal work per se, but mostly protection, RSD and resettlement. Of the US law schools represented out here: UNC, Chicago-Kent, Uni Houston, Uni Denver, William and Mary, American.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm

international law is the biggest circle jerk in the world

written by international law profs for other international profs...and no value to students
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Did someone say dank?:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”