What happens in a theft-case like this one? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EdmundBurke23

Bronze

What happens in a theft-case like this one?

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:22 pm

The police came to our library facilities today, and they showed us a picture of some girl (aged twelve, it turns out) who stole a wallet from our library, and was caught on camera trying to take out money from an ATM in a nearby bank. After two failed attempts, she disposes of the card on top of the ATM, at which point the next person picks it up and uses all the cash inside the card at another shop.

We looked at our camera recordings to pinpoint the date that the wallet was reported stolen, and found her entering and leaving the exact place that was described by the owner. I scanned our membership database and found out that she was stupid enough to also have checked out a book (we have pictures of every single member for identification purposes).

Here's what the officer said:

The police officer said that the person who stole the card initially wouldn't have to pay for the damages.

That' bullcrap... What would happen in the United States in this situation? Oh yeah, and here's another important fact: This all happened in South Korea.

And to add more chemistry into the question...

What if I was in a very daring mood today, and decided to delete the data and the pictures corresponding to this girl right in front of the officer? What would I be guilty of?

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Re: What happens in a theft-case like this one?

Post by BigFatPanda » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:29 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:The police came to our library facilities today, and they showed us a picture of some girl (aged twelve, it turns out) who stole a wallet from our library, and was caught on camera trying to take out money from an ATM in a nearby bank. After two failed attempts, she disposes of the card on top of the ATM, at which point the next person picks it up and uses all the case inside the card at another shop.

We looked at our camera recordings to pinpoint the date that the wallet was reported stolen, and found her entering and leaving the exact place that was described by the owner. I scanned our membership database and found out that she was stupid enough to also have checked out a book (we have pictures of every single member for identification purposes).

Here's what the officer said:

The police officer said that the person who stole the card initially wouldn't have to pay for the damages.

That' bullcrap... What would happen in the United States in this situation? Oh yeah, and here's another important fact: This all happened in South Korea.
Police officers (United States) are responsible for charging criminal offenses only. IN this case, the girl should be charge with theft/larceny. However, the damage due to her theft is civil. The victim would have to sue her in a civil action and the police has no business telling the victim he/she can't recover.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:36 pm

One of the things that pissed me off most, though, was how the police offer said that he'll force a confession from the poor little girl. I don't think a Korean Miranda Warning plays that big of a role; I remember from reading a U.S. case where even pressuring into confessing could lead to a violation of his/her beloved miranda.

Wait, is Miranda a U.S. thing involving rights on self-incrimination?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 pm

This thread explains a lot.

English not being the OP's first language would account for the quirky posts.

But no, in the US she would be guilty of petty theft for stealing the wallet, but would not be liable for any monetary damages to the owner of the card. The second thief could be made to repay the money, but not the first.

Edit: Oh, and IBTM

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”