2L need advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L need advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Top 1/3 at T30, still no job for the summer. I have some upcoming interviews: (1) in-house legal department (will not lead to permanent employment); (2) small law firm; (3) internship for a federal district judge; (4) District Attorney’s office.

If my goal is to work for law firms after graduation (but not in criminal law), which of the above is better for my 3L job search?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Unemployed 2L need advice

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 at T30, still no job for the summer. I have some upcoming interviews: (1) in-house legal department (will not lead to permanent employment); (2) small law firm; (3) internship for a federal district judge; (4) District Attorney’s office.

If my goal is to work for law firms after graduation (but not in criminal law), which of the above is better for my 3L job search?
Will the small firm take you after graduation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 pm

(OP): No, not sure if the small firm will offer anything. My question was just for what would be most helpful when I look for jobs in 3L.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:24 pm

What general industry is the in-house gig? Something that might translate well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

(OP): in-house is in the consumer product industry. Works will be some general corporate type legal work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:33 pm

I think I'd go with that , probably. It seems like the option most likely to result in some networking opportunities. Even if the GC office can't hire you, they might be willing to make some calls for you next year.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Renzo wrote:I think I'd go with that , probably. It seems like the option most likely to result in some networking opportunities. Even if the GC office can't hire you, they might be willing to make some calls for you next year.
(OP): Your advice makes sense. But someone told me even small firms are better than in-house legal department because you can earn the similar experience. Any thought on that?

Also, will your experience with a legal department makes law firms think that you are more interested in working for in-house than law firms when it comes to 3L job search (I know it is almost non exist)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:43 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Renzo wrote:I think I'd go with that , probably. It seems like the option most likely to result in some networking opportunities. Even if the GC office can't hire you, they might be willing to make some calls for you next year.
TTT-LS, J., concurs.

The district court sounds like a good second choice, as it may help you be a better clerkship applicant or even lead to the judge serving as a recommender. Because 3L hiring is almost non-existent right now, you should realistically be thinking about clerkship applications as a safety valve. And since some judges hire pre-plan, you'll need to be ready to apply well before this September if you really want to apply broadly (so as to give you the best possible chance of landing one).
(OP): I heard you need to be in top 10% or even top 5% for clerkship. I am only top 1/3. Will an internship with a judge help that much to make up the lower grades (assume you can get a good recommendation from the judge)?

steve_nash

Bronze

Re: 2L need advice

Post by steve_nash » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

I don't really understand the point of asking this when you don't have job offers from them, but I'll offer what I think, which isn't worth very much weight as it is. I also concur that the in-house gig sounds best, for reasons stated above. I wouldn't count on a clerkship with top 1/3 grades ITE, however, unless you hold an exec position on a journal and pull up your grades this semester.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Take the one that offers you a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 am

By "clerkships," you are all referring to federal clerkships, correct? What about other kinds of clerkships, such as state appellate judges? Surely that would not require top 5%...

Does anyone have any knowledge of how competitive traditionally less-competitive clerkships are these days?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”