Do JDs still start in mailroom at talent agencies?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
corporatelaw87

Do JDs still start in mailroom at talent agencies?

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm

It's a known fact that if you want to be an agent and you're coming straight from undergrad you slave away in the mail room for a good number of years. However, if you have an advanced degree like a JD, do they still expect you to start in the mail room or do you start as a junior agent or something along those lines. Thanks!

keg411

Re: Do JDs still start in mailroom at talent agencies?

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:It's a known fact that if you want to be an agent and you're coming straight from undergrad you slave away in the mail room for a good number of years. However, if you have an advanced degree like a JD, do they still expect you to start in the mail room or do you start as a junior agent or something along those lines. Thanks!

When I was first out of undergrad, I did an internship at a talent agency. The answer is "mail room".

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 pm

For all you Entourage fans...I'm pretty sure Ari Gold got his JD from Michigan and still had to work in the mail room for years before becoming an actual agent.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Would it make sense to try and do entertainment law at a BigLaw firm, then try to go to an agency after a few years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 pm

I interviewed at a talent agency this past winter. I hope to be offered an internship in their legal affairs/business affairs department but told the HR I'd even be willing to be an Agent assistant. The HR rep asked if I was sure that I am interested in that because most of the agents that make/negotiate deals for clients are actually law school drop outs.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:It's a known fact that if you want to be an agent and you're coming straight from undergrad you slave away in the mail room for a good number of years. However, if you have an advanced degree like a JD, do they still expect you to start in the mail room or do you start as a junior agent or something along those lines. Thanks!

When I was first out of undergrad, I did an internship at a talent agency. The answer is "mail room".

How did you go about landing an internship with a talent agency?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 pm

psm11 wrote:
keg411 wrote:

How did you go about landing an internship with a talent agency?

I found it on entertainmentcareers.net.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 pm

mytwocents wrote:For all you Entourage fans...I'm pretty sure Ari Gold got his JD from Michigan and still had to work in the mail room for years before becoming an actual agent.

No, the real ari gold didn't get a jd. Like almost all agents.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 pm

No need for law school if you wanna be an agent.

840e

Postby 840e » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm

FTR, I'm pretty sure the original post is old. I only answered because the thread necromancer happened to address my old post.

Return to “Legal Employment”