Internships: Private Practice vs. Gov't/non-profit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Internships: Private Practice vs. Gov't/non-profit

Postby hungryhungryhippo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 pm

This is my summer post-undergrad, pre-law school. I have interned for a local superior court judge (during school) and a US Congressman in DC (summer).

I hope to intern at a biglaw firm for my 2L summer and work at a biglaw firm upon graduation.

This summer, should I intern for a private firm (possibly biglaw using connections) or does it look better to continue in the public sector, maybe state gov't or Capitol Hill (congressional committee or Senate side or executive agency) or DC non-profit?

Money is of no issue.

Anonymous User

Re: Internships: Private Practice vs. Gov't/non-profit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm

The non-firm options sound more fun. I'd go with one of those. Working on the Hill this summer will be much more interesting than making photocopies at, say, White & Case.

You'll have plenty of time to work at a large law firm during and after law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”