ACLU?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ACLU?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:56 am

Anyone know anything about working for the ACLU or a similar organization? How often do they hire attorneys, and what is the process like? Do most of their attorneys work pro-bono? I imagine that if they do hire full time attorneys it's extremely competitive. It would be somewhat of a dream to work as an attorney for the ACLU.

reebtoor

Re: ACLU?

Postby reebtoor » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:38 am

I have heard from several sources that it is very difficult to get these jobs, especially outside T14. I don't really know anything about pro bono work with the ACLU, but I'd bet even this is very competitive.

Anonymous User

Re: ACLU?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

I summered at the ACLU. It is extraordinarily competitive to get a permanent position in the national office. Getting a job at one of the state affiliates can be less competitive, depending on the state. (Some affiliates, like ACLU Northern California, are super competitive.)

The main way to get a job in the national office straight out of law school is as a fellow:
http://www.aclu.org/careers/3

The more experienced ACLU attorneys have often made lateral moves from prestigious firms (Jenner, Munger, Altshuler Berzon, etc.), government, and other nonprofits. Most of them have glittering résumés: top-10 schools, elite clerkships, and so on.

Return to “Legal Employment”