U.S. Magistrate v. State District

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

U.S. Magistrate v. State District

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Is it worth moving for the summer to clerk for a U.S. Magistrate Judge when the position is unpaid and I'm poor? Would a local state district ct. clerkship suffice? 1L.

Esc

Re: U.S. Magistrate v. State District

Postby Esc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 pm

A'nold wrote:Is it worth moving for the summer to clerk for a U.S. Magistrate Judge when the position is unpaid and I'm poor? Would a local state district ct. clerkship suffice? 1L.

IMO interning for the Magistrate would be immeasurably better, as long as you won't starve.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm also a 1L, so take this for all that it's worth (probably not much). My career services office told me that while it is technically nicer to intern with a fed judge over a state trial court judge, internships don't carry the same sort of prestige and anti-prestige that clerkships (after you graduate) do. Further, they said that when OCI comes around, all that really matters is having a convincing reason for why you took a state court job over a fed job... such as, you wanted to see litigation in the area where you plan to practice after school. (Or some such).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I can make it work financially, but it would be tough. Plus, I'd have to spend the week away from my wife and baby and drive home for the weekends....not very fun. So, one says worth it and another says no?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 pm

hmlee wrote:I'm also a 1L, so take this for all that it's worth (probably not much). My career services office told me that while it is technically nicer to intern with a fed judge over a state trial court judge, internships don't carry the same sort of prestige and anti-prestige that clerkships (after you graduate) do. Further, they said that when OCI comes around, all that really matters is having a convincing reason for why you took a state court job over a fed job... such as, you wanted to see litigation in the area where you plan to practice after school. (Or some such).

Or just don't tell them about the fed level job to begin with.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hmlee wrote:I'm also a 1L, so take this for all that it's worth (probably not much). My career services office told me that while it is technically nicer to intern with a fed judge over a state trial court judge, internships don't carry the same sort of prestige and anti-prestige that clerkships (after you graduate) do. Further, they said that when OCI comes around, all that really matters is having a convincing reason for why you took a state court job over a fed job... such as, you wanted to see litigation in the area where you plan to practice after school. (Or some such).

Or just don't tell them about the fed level job to begin with.

Well yeah, that was the first course of action advised by them, but they said that it was good to have a reason ready in case it came up (as unlikely as it was) if the interviewer looked down on the state internship.

Return to “Legal Employment”