In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
winokbe
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby winokbe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 am

Anyone have some experience with this? I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough road ahead of me trying to get into this field as my major was non-technical (criminal justice), although I'm quite tech savvy. I'm considering either IP law or real-estate as corporations have a need for both. I realize that I'm most likely looking at 3-6 years minimum in some form of private practice (or land an internship during summer) first.

I'm fishing for info, so no rush. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
jmaan
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:47 am

winokbe wrote:Anyone have some experience with this? I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough road ahead of me trying to get into this field as my major was non-technical (criminal justice), although I'm quite tech savvy. I'm considering either IP law or real-estate as corporations have a need for both. I realize that I'm most likely looking at 3-6 years minimum in some form of private practice (or land an internship during summer) first.

I'm fishing for info, so no rush. Thanks in advance.


can you do IP without a science undergrad?

User avatar
JetstoRJC
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby JetstoRJC » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:07 am

jmaan wrote:
winokbe wrote:Anyone have some experience with this? I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough road ahead of me trying to get into this field as my major was non-technical (criminal justice), although I'm quite tech savvy. I'm considering either IP law or real-estate as corporations have a need for both. I realize that I'm most likely looking at 3-6 years minimum in some form of private practice (or land an internship during summer) first.

I'm fishing for info, so no rush. Thanks in advance.


can you do IP without a science undergrad?


From what I have heard it is debatable...you can't do patent law without a technical background. However, you could do copyright or trademark. I still think it would be easier to break into field with a science undergrad.

I would love to do trademark and copyright law in an in house setting for a company like apple, nike, etc. I am worried about putting too much weight in pursuing a branch of IP law without having a science background. Anybody with any real experience with this?

ScaredWorkedBored
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

jmaan wrote:
winokbe wrote:Anyone have some experience with this? I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough road ahead of me trying to get into this field as my major was non-technical (criminal justice), although I'm quite tech savvy. I'm considering either IP law or real-estate as corporations have a need for both. I realize that I'm most likely looking at 3-6 years minimum in some form of private practice (or land an internship during summer) first.

I'm fishing for info, so no rush. Thanks in advance.


can you do IP without a science undergrad?


Litigation, copyright & trademark, yes. Patent is prohibited by US government regs on the patent bar (not that someone without a tech background in the field would be particularly useful at this anyway).

For in-house at a highly selective tech company, they're going to want experience and almost certainly a technical degree, since most of your headaches are going to be technical. That experience should come at a firm that, at minimum, represents similar business and more ideally, represents the company you'd like to work for.

winokbe
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby winokbe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Perfect,
Litigation, copyright, TM is more what I'm looking at anyways.

So, it's definitely a possibility :-D That makes me happy...worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby Bosque » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 am

winokbe wrote:Perfect,
Litigation, copyright, TM is more what I'm looking at anyways.

So, it's definitely a possibility :-D That makes me happy...worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models


I don't think you read that right. Even in Litigation, copyright, and trademarks, tech companies are going to want people with technical backgrounds. AKA, engineers. I wouldn't count on this working out for you.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby ughOSU » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

winokbe wrote:worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models

I wish I were ill-informed enough that I though this was a legit "back-up" plan.

2009 Prospective
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Bosque wrote:
winokbe wrote:Perfect,
Litigation, copyright, TM is more what I'm looking at anyways.

So, it's definitely a possibility :-D That makes me happy...worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models


I don't think you read that right. Even in Litigation, copyright, and trademarks, tech companies are going to want people with technical backgrounds. AKA, engineers. I wouldn't count on this working out for you.


I don't know about in-house, but I've heard from many people that trademark & copyright is definitely possible without a technical background.

winokbe
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby winokbe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 pm

ughOSU wrote:
winokbe wrote:worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models

I wish I were ill-informed enough that I though this was a legit "back-up" plan.


wrong face, was supposed to be a joke, hence the "models and bottles" comment...I clearly must work on making my wit drier.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

I worked for Cargill and the IP attorneys did not have a science/technical background. You dont need it.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby ughOSU » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

winokbe wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
winokbe wrote:worst case scenario: keep living in LA and work some entertainment law ;-) bottles and models

I wish I were ill-informed enough that I though this was a legit "back-up" plan.


wrong face, was supposed to be a joke, hence the "models and bottles" comment...I clearly must work on making my wit drier.

haha got it... what I said still holds true though.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby nealric » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I've seen Google postings for in-house counsel. They want 5-7 years experience in Biglaw first and sterling academic credentials. They don't just hire IP lawyers BTW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: In-House counsel, google, apple, etc

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

I worked for Cargill and the IP attorneys did not have a science/technical background. You dont need it.


They must have done trademark work which seems odd for a food/chem company. You have to have a technical degree or some minimal training to even take the patent bar. http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/exam/registration.jsp

The PDF at the top has details. If you don't have a BS in one of the listed sciences you need a significant number of course credit hours in.... science hence at least SOME technical background.

A summary from about.com

1. If you have not already done so take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and get a law degree and pass your state bar. You must be licensed to practice law to become a patent attorney.

2. Obtain a Bachelor's degree in a field of technology recognized by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). A complete list of educational options can be found in the PDF file entitled the USPTO General Requirements For Taking The Patent Bar.

3. A recognized Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent will make you a category A applicant for the patent bar. A few examples of what you will find under category A are degrees in biology, computer science, electronics technology, chemistry, pharmacology, physics, and numerous engineering degrees. Check the PDF file for the complete list.

4. You can apply as a category B or C applicant if you have a degree in a different subject. The USPTO gives you many options for a Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent combined with course credits, alternative training, life experiences, military service traing, graduate degrees, and other conditions. Check the PDF file for the complete list of options under category B or C.

5. B and C applicants should allow for a longer time for their applications to be processed. You will be judged on a case by case basis and you will need greater documentation to prove that you are skilled in technology.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.