Loyola Patent Fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:22 pm

My school just sent out emails about it.
Anyone have any experience with it?
Is it like a giant OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Yes, it is a big OCI for patent geeks.

I didn't go b/c I was only interested in my school's home market. Then by the time my 2L OCI rolled around, a couple of the patent groups at the firms in town had already filled out their summer classes with Loyala interviewees.

Moral of the story: Go to Loyola regardless of what market you are interested in.

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Definitely worth it if you can get at least a few interviews.

You pay an application fee (schools/orgs might pay it for you) and submit your resume to ~30 firms/offices. After the firms do their screening you'll get to see how many interviews (preselect/alternate) you have and can decide if you want to make the trip to Chicago.

It's a hectic two days (walking from room to room all day for two days), but there are tons of firms there from all over the country.

FWIW, numerous friends got jobs out of PLIP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Last year it seemed as if some people had a ton of interviews and others only had a few. If you're one of the blessed ones with 15+ interviews, seriously consider dropping some of them. I tried to do 15 interviews in one day and many of them were just wasted chances. I was frazzled, couldn't keep the firms straight, and did not enjoy the process. If you have more than 3 back-to-back interviews, consider canceling some so that you can do your best at the ones do really want. More isn't always better.

I wish I can canceled a few of my Loyola slots and just bid on them in my school's OCI. Then the interviews would have been spread out over that week and I would have been more composed and able to really make a good impression.

That said, I also though that the callback process was more competitive from Loyola than from my school's OCI. I think that's because Loyola was prescreened, but my school's OCI wasn't. If a firm was going to callback 2 out of 40 interviews, I did much better in the non-prescreened group than the prescreened group. I felt like firms had "quotas" and planned on distributing their hires amongst the different interviewing opportunities. (i.e. 2 from Loyola, 2 from NYU, 1 from Cornell, 1 from Chi, 1 from GULC, etc) I did not get many of the Loyola callback slots, but did much better at my school's OCI. I attribute this to three factors (1) national competition at Loyola where even a PhD or years of work experience isn't that unique, (2) a prescreened interview pool, and (3) being frazzled by too many interviews all at the same time.

Nonetheless, if you want to do patents, go to the Loyola fair. It's worth it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last year it seemed as if some people had a ton of interviews and others only had a few. If you're one of the blessed ones with 15+ interviews, seriously consider dropping some of them. I tried to do 15 interviews in one day and many of them were just wasted chances. I was frazzled, couldn't keep the firms straight, and did not enjoy the process. If you have more than 3 back-to-back interviews, consider canceling some so that you can do your best at the ones do really want. More isn't always better.

I wish I can canceled a few of my Loyola slots and just bid on them in my school's OCI. Then the interviews would have been spread out over that week and I would have been more composed and able to really make a good impression.

That said, I also though that the callback process was more competitive from Loyola than from my school's OCI. I think that's because Loyola was prescreened, but my school's OCI wasn't. If a firm was going to callback 2 out of 40 interviews, I did much better in the non-prescreened group than the prescreened group. I felt like firms had "quotas" and planned on distributing their hires amongst the different interviewing opportunities. (i.e. 2 from Loyola, 2 from NYU, 1 from Cornell, 1 from Chi, 1 from GULC, etc) I did not get many of the Loyola callback slots, but did much better at my school's OCI. I attribute this to three factors (1) national competition at Loyola where even a PhD or years of work experience isn't that unique, (2) a prescreened interview pool, and (3) being frazzled by too many interviews all at the same time.

Nonetheless, if you want to do patents, go to the Loyola fair. It's worth it.

Are you able to interview with firms and then bid on the SAME ones at your schools OCI? Also, it appears that when you submit your resume and bid for interviews, only your first semester grades are in-do they matter more?

dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 am

Do most people who get interviews there have masters degrees or PhDs?

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:08 am

I had quite a few and only have a BS. Friends were in the same situation as me with only a BS. BS for engineering seems to be enough, but maybe not for Bio.

dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 am

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I had quite a few and only have a BS. Friends were in the same situation as me with only a BS. BS for engineering seems to be enough, but maybe not for Bio.

Did they care a lot about law school grades? Undergrad science grades? How about work experience?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 am

dreman510 wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I had quite a few and only have a BS. Friends were in the same situation as me with only a BS. BS for engineering seems to be enough, but maybe not for Bio.

Did they care a lot about law school grades? Undergrad science grades? How about work experience?



On balance, general practice firms care more about law school grades than boutiques.

Boutiques tend to care about undergrad grades while most (all?) GPs won't even ask for them.

Dunno about work experience.



I thought the loyola program was quite good and great practice for OCI really. I actually did 19 and ended up taking a job from one of them albeit after my school's own OCI.

dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:48 am

awesomepossum wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I had quite a few and only have a BS. Friends were in the same situation as me with only a BS. BS for engineering seems to be enough, but maybe not for Bio.

Did they care a lot about law school grades? Undergrad science grades? How about work experience?



On balance, general practice firms care more about law school grades than boutiques.

Boutiques tend to care about undergrad grades while most (all?) GPs won't even ask for them.

Dunno about work experience.



I thought the loyola program was quite good and great practice for OCI really. I actually did 19 and ended up taking a job from one of them albeit after my school's own OCI.

Thanks! Are callbacks during the fair or are they at the firms offices in their locations?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:39 am

dreman510 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I had quite a few and only have a BS. Friends were in the same situation as me with only a BS. BS for engineering seems to be enough, but maybe not for Bio.

Did they care a lot about law school grades? Undergrad science grades? How about work experience?



On balance, general practice firms care more about law school grades than boutiques.

Boutiques tend to care about undergrad grades while most (all?) GPs won't even ask for them.

Dunno about work experience.



I thought the loyola program was quite good and great practice for OCI really. I actually did 19 and ended up taking a job from one of them albeit after my school's own OCI.

Thanks! Are callbacks during the fair or are they at the firms offices in their locations?



at their offices. I got some callbacks a few days later, a few callbacks MUCH later...after my school's OCI.

dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
at their offices. I got some callbacks a few days later, a few callbacks MUCH later...after my school's OCI.

Is it possible to interview with some firms at Loyola and then again at OCI?

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:47 pm

For a different office, maybe.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby wiseowl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:33 pm

It's worth noting that if you are applying to a general practice firm, you are in no way guaranteed an interview with an IP-related person at your school's OCI, while at Loyola those chances approach 100%.

I'd take any chance I can get at Loyola and not "put off" any apps.

1.) it's good to get in early - Loyola is before any OCI
2.) as above, you could get a tax lawyer as your interviewer on campus who neither knows nor cares about your science background.

dreman510
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 pm

wiseowl wrote:It's worth noting that if you are applying to a general practice firm, you are in no way guaranteed an interview with an IP-related person at your school's OCI, while at Loyola those chances approach 100%.

I'd take any chance I can get at Loyola and not "put off" any apps.

1.) it's good to get in early - Loyola is before any OCI
2.) as above, you could get a tax lawyer as your interviewer on campus who neither knows nor cares about your science background.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense...

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Loyola Patent Fair

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm

wiseowl wrote:It's worth noting that if you are applying to a general practice firm, you are in no way guaranteed an interview with an IP-related person at your school's OCI, while at Loyola those chances approach 100%.

I'd take any chance I can get at Loyola and not "put off" any apps.

1.) it's good to get in early - Loyola is before any OCI
2.) as above, you could get a tax lawyer as your interviewer on campus who neither knows nor cares about your science background.



1) is not NECESSARILY good. I don't know how NALP rules might change for you guys, but my year firms were pretty loosey goosey about setting how many weeks you had to answer an offer. My problem came because I had an offer that was set to expire DURING my OCI. Especially given the fears of the economy, that was a pretty tricky problem. Take the offer because it was a 'bird in hand' or take a risk and hope that another offer would materialize.

2) For a lot of firms with IP, strong IP folks are a priority. Therefore, while you might not get an IP person interviewing you at OCI for a GP firm, you are likely to get forwarded over to IP and they'll callback/offer you from there. It's not a big deal.

Lest it seem like I don't like the Loyola program, I'll say I think it's great....especially since I ended up taking my upcoming summer from there.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.