Good news for the future?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Good news for the future?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

I finished first semester right at the top of my class at a T20. I applied to anout 35 firms a week or two ago and I keep getting the same response. "We aren't hiring any first years this summer but please keep in touch and apply again for a 2L position." Does this mean these firms are actually interested but aren't hiring, or is this just the nice way of rejecting people? I was under the impression if they didn't want you they'd likely just ignore you. Any thoughts?

gglr24

Re: Good news for the future?

Postby gglr24 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Pretty standard reply, although you're right that some firms won't reply at all. When I was a 1L, I got a lot of letters to reapply as a 2L, and some of them didn't even come to OCI (they were normally regulars. So I wouldn't take it to mean anything.

Anonymous User

Re: Good news for the future?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. One of them did call me to tell me that so I took that as the most positive. The can't possibly be calling everyone who applies, or if they are they are wasting a ton of time.

Return to “Legal Employment”