Questions about Law Firm Layoffs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
heyguys

Bronze

Questions about Law Firm Layoffs

Post by heyguys » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:17 am

So, I understand that folks are getting laid off at law firms. But I just wanted to ask: is there some sort of severance package associated with these layoffs as a matter of general practice, or are a lot of them just clean breaks where they say "Well, I guess I won't be seeing you next month" and that's basically it.

Also, to anyone reading these forums who has been deferred or knows folks who have been deferred: what are you doing with your time that you would be working for the firm? Was finding other employment difficult?

Renzo

Gold

Re: Questions about Law Firm Layoffs

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 am

heyguys wrote:So, I understand that folks are getting laid off at law firms. But I just wanted to ask: is there some sort of severance package associated with these layoffs as a matter of general practice, or are a lot of them just clean breaks where they say "Well, I guess I won't be seeing you next month" and that's basically it.

Also, to anyone reading these forums who has been deferred or knows folks who have been deferred: what are you doing with your time that you would be working for the firm? Was finding other employment difficult?
It's firm-by-firm. Some offered severance, some offered like 6 mos. lead time to find another job, some pretended the layoffs were performance-related and thus offered nothing.

I know current 3Ls who have been deferred, but they're obviously in school still, so most are still working on a plan to fill their time.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”