Intrafirm Transferability

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
insidethetwenty

Intrafirm Transferability

Postby insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Is it possible and/or common for an associate to transfer between offices of the same firm?

For example: say I went to law school at Texas and began work at the Dallas office of X, Y, and Z BigLaw Firm, LLP. I work there for two or three years and then I decide I want to move closer to family in the Midwest and want to go to the Chicago office. Will it be possible for me to transfer to X, Y, and Z BigLaw Firm, LLP's Chicago office? Or would it be better for me to simply try to "lateral" into another firm in Chicago?

My completely uninformed guess would be that something like this would be a case-by-case basis sort of thing, and dependent somewhat on the type of law I practiced in the Dallas office (i.e. more difficult if I solely practiced "Texas oil derrick litigation" than if I practiced general corporate transactional law).

Thoughts?

Kohinoor

Re: Intrafirm Transferability

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm

something like this would be a case-by-case basis sort of thing, and dependent somewhat on the type of law I practiced in the Dallas office (i.e. more difficult if I solely practiced "Texas oil derrick litigation" than if I practiced general corporate transactional law).

Return to “Legal Employment”